Nex Guard scare?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Debbie Jensen, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Debbie Jensen

Debbie Jensen Registered Users

Hi! I was reading so many postings yesterday about the many people who have lost their beloved dogs to NEX guard. I also saw the countless listings from people of dogs who suffered seizures as well. (I worked for a pharmaceutical company so I understand medication).

Are there natural remedies anyone can recommend? I have been a yellow owner before (24 years ago) and we did give her heart worm meds and flea and tick treatment without incidence.

These statements and the people and dogs that suffered is alarming...... thoughts?

2. Helen

Helen Registered Users

Last year my vet sold me Nexgard, I never gave it to my boy, thankfully, I don't know why, but then I started googling it and like you found some alarming articles, I'm so glad I never gave it to him, I took it back and got my money back .

3. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

I don't know any natural remedies but my dogs don't get any flea/wormers chemicals.

They don't have fleas, so why would I put dangerous chemicals on or in them?
    Do worm testing for worms.

I'm in the UK so no heartworm here but again it can be tested for.

4. Athena

Athena Registered Users

I have no doubt owners' experiences may be alarming. Ideally vets and owners are reporting suspected adverse events to the local competent authorities. This is a cumulative summary of adverse events reported to FDA: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/About...VM/CVMFOIAElectronicReadingRoom/UCM622677.pdf

The problem with this data is we don't have a denominator, i.e. how many dogs were dosed, so it's not possible (at least for me) to figure out how many dogs would have had a seizure anyway and how this number compares to reported AEs. I have no experience with this particular product but we live in a city with tons of fleas and ticks so I use whatever my vet recommends - shame on me I can't remember the names.

This is the summary New Animal Drug Application (initial approval 2013) https://animaldrugsatfda.fda.gov/adafda/app/search/public/document/downloadFoi/911

Most drug regulators will have similar information available online or will provide it upon request. If you're in the US, you could contact FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine and ask questions: https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/default.htm

5. Tokalosh

Tokalosh Registered Users

I have used nex guard specrta for my lab puppy at 6 months old, bought from the vet after a check up, and max went really quite strange, very quiet stopped eating and was really not himself, I spoke to the vets and asked if it could be the nex guard and was told they didn't think so, but I have never used it again, it took poor Max 3 days until he was back to himself. I use 1 from pets at home now with no I'll effects, blooming expensive but no nasty effects for Max.
    Coincident, I don't think so.