night time pooping in crate

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kaaikens, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Kaaikens

Kaaikens Registered Users

Hi all. Our Honey has grown beautifully and is now 8 months. She is a true adolescent and has forgotten some of her training but is doing remarkable in other areas. I just repeat, repeat, repeat all she has been trained sofar! Fellow dog walkers keep commenting on her gentleness and obedience during recall etc. The one thing, however, that I cannot cope with is her night time pooping in her crate. She used to do it occasionally, like once a month or so and she has never ever been scolded. For the past week she has done it every single night! The good thing is she does not eat it. I have plenty of proof. Handfulls in fact.. Nothing in her diet has changed. She gets fed at 7 in the morning and again at 4. I feed her Skinners field and trial for young dogs and give her 2/3 of her daily feed in the morning and 1/3 in the evening to try and sort this. 300g in total. She weighs 17.8 kg. I am considering feeding her mornings only but it seems cruel and I dont think her tummy will handle it very well. She gets plenty of daily excercise and is not eating anything in between and has no opportunity to scavenge as I keep a close eye on her during walks. She has no fear issues or seperation anxiety issues and are only crated at night or if I pop out for shopping etc. The longest she has been on her own, crated in the day was 4 hours and she always gets a chew, eg rawhide or stuffed kong. She is happy to lie in her crate with door open during the day so there are no issues there. She also pees on command outside, yet she never ever asks to go out, I just take her out regularly for the sole purpose of peeing, or she pees inside on the carpet (which is washed with a spesific no ammonia brand). She used to poop at night when I take her out but now she just stares at me. We will be outside for 1/2 hour and nothing. I would wait another 1/2 hour and try again. Nothing. This until around 10pm! Even though I used the word hurry up since she was a puppy she has never learnt to poop on command. And then a surpise in the morning. Heaps. She has been spayed 3 weeks ago, could this have any effect? Advice would be welcomed