Night time routine

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Alyssia bailey, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Alyssia bailey

Alyssia bailey Registered Users

Hello, my pup is now 9 weeks old (10weeks on Tuesday) we are crate training and it's going well, we put him down for the night at 10pm then get up at 3am to let him out, then we put him back down till morning. This routine is fine at the weekend as we don't need to be up until 7am/8am but during the week it's causing problems as my partner starts work really early! His alarm goes off at 5:45 and he is usually out of the house by 6:15. Alfie (the puppy) hears him and wakes up. My question is that of course he needs letting out, but would it be good practise to then put him back in the crate so he gets used to not crying in the morning to get us up? Only problem is he has barrels of energy first thing in the morning so I think he will just cry continuously if we let him out then put him back in the crate. Any suggestions?? Do we just need to be disciplined until he learns that we don't play first thing in the morning? Also how old will he be when he can hold it through the night? Just wondering how long the 3am candle lit vigils will last! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks x

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Alyssia and welcome to the forum.

If your pup is always dry when you let him out at 3am, extend the time by 15 mins or so every night until you extend the time to what suits/or he wets. If the latter, just shorten the time a little and stick with it for a week until definitely dry and try again.
    10 weeks he is still a baby though so take it slow :)

I think it you don't want him up so early I would pop him back in his crate. Maybe even with a small kong with some of his breakfast? Perhaps this could be your partner's morning job ;)

3. Alyssia bailey

Alyssia bailey Registered Users

Yes I thought about doing that (moving 15 mins later) what happens when you get earlier in the morning though? (As in within 1-2hours of getting up anyway) won't he just think it's morning and wake up? Or if I get to 4/5am and he is dry, do I just risk it and leave him until morning? My partner let him out this morning and put him down again but he just cried until I got up, he isn't overly interested in the kong (not sure if he will have better concentration as he grows up?) he gets bored with it quickly at the moment! Same with his antler, will chew it for a bit then gets bored, I am very aware he is still only a baby :) so I don't want to rush things as he is doing very well so far. Also he goes in his crate just fine (and we feed him in there) but he never takes his toys in there or goes in during the day of his own accord. Usually he comes and sits on my lap then I put him in the crate for a nap. So even if I leave toys in there for him, he won't play with them when he is in the crate?

4. PuppyJake

PuppyJake Registered Users

Jake is a bit older (16 weeks) but has been left in his crate all night 11.30-7 since he was 11 weeks old as he coped well with us moving the middle of the night wee back until we hit 6am ish. My hubby works shifts and has been on early earlies this week. Jake has been let out for a wee at 3 am this week and put straight back into the crate. He has also been out for a wee at 6 am then put back to bed. Jake doesn't whine or cry and either goes back to sleep or sits and waits for us to get up. An early morning wee means the rest of us get a bit of a lie in.
    So I guess the answer is try it and see. That's what I said to my hubby the first time we tried it and it worked!

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

When Tatze was a pup she woke early (6am) so I'd take her out for a wee then we'd both snooze on the sofa until 'proper' get up time (7:30 - 8am) It worked well.

With the other pups I simply used a puppy pen, so if they needed an early wee they could use the pad at the end of the pen. I get up early (7am) until they are 5 months old then expect them to fit in with our times. Both did so very well, hope the next one does too!

:)

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

When Harley was little I used to get up around 5/6am for her to have a wee. I then led on the sofa and snoozed for a few hours with her. She got used to this very quickly and realised I wouldn't play. After a few days she got on the sofa and snuggled up.
    It's finding what works for you really. Decide what your plan is, then stick to it. Good luck