Nightime Potty Visits 1 year old female lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Alice S, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Alice S

Alice S Registered Users

I'm a new owner of a 1.5 yr old female. We took ownership on 12/4/2018 and since then, we have been getting up 2-3 times a night for potty visits..pee and poop most of the time. Liberty was 97 lbs when we got her. We have her on 4Health weight loss food and have been exercising her regularly. She seems to be losing weight but I am also losing too much sleep. I'm 64 and hubby is 73! We have tried feeding her earlier (4:00 pm) and later (5:00 pm) plus taking water dish up after dinner. We started her off with 4 1/3 cups of food per day (per food bag) but soon cut her down to 2 1/2 cups per day. Now shes at 3 cups per day. Nothing seems to change her night time need to go out. HELP!!

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Alice, Welcome to the forum!

This is an unusually high frequency for a dog of that age, that must be really tough to deal with.

I'd take her to the vet to make sure that she doesn't have a urinary infection or some other medical reason that is causing this to happen. Do let us know how you get along!

3. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

I found dried food made my puppy pee alot more and she is now on tinned food and goes from 10 pm to 6 am and is clean we leave her water down.
    She is only 4 momths.
    It sounds like your dog hasn't had proper toilet training when a puppy.

4. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Alice S

I would follow Lucy's advice.

Three cups sounds like a lot to me, especially for a dog that is on a diet. Unless she is very, very tall in stature, I suspect she is still seriously overweight (you quote 97 pounds and that she seems to be losing weight, suggesting she is still at least 90 pounds). How do her flanks feel when you run your hand along the dog? Can you easily feel the bones of her rib cage? Does she have a little bit of a waist when you have a bird's eye view of her? A photo of her would be very useful.

Is your dog food high quality or low quality with lots of fillers. The latter might explain the 'continuous' defecation. The recommendation is to buy a high-quality dog food.

Is she eating anything else?

5. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

I'm not familiar with this food but I'd guess as it's a weight loss formula it will contain lots of fibre and stuff to bulk it out.
    Get her onto a good quality high meat content kibble and feed less of it if she needs to lose weight or better still feed raw.