No garden access - Ok or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by 20180815, May 6, 2017.

1. 20180815

20180815 Guest

My OH and I are wanting to move to be closer to OH's work (I work from home), as the commute is quite long at the moment. However it's really hard to find a property that allows dogs. The vast majority don't, and the few I found that do will only accept one small dog. We finally found a dog friendly property in a little village not far from OH's work, but the downside is it doesn't have a garden. It does have a nice park next door which would be about a couple minutes walk down the street to get into it (a stone wall separates the house from the park so it isn't direct access).

We're going to see it this afternoon so will have a better idea of it in person but I was hoping someone might have some experience / advice for this situation.

I'm used to having a garden and letting the dogs out whenever they want, so not having the luxury of easy garden access would need more structuring to what we do with the dogs.

We're thinking our game plan would be:

- walk the dogs together in the morning before work, which would be exercise + hopefully doing their business
    - wee break midday
    - walk the dogs together in the evening after work + another chance to potty if needed
    - wee before bed

Will my lab need a third walk midday? And is 4 bathroom outings a day enough?

I'd keep trying for a property with a garden but it's really disheartening how few there are that accept larger sized dogs. They're either in terrible states of disrepair, in neighbourhoods I wouldn't feel safe in, or far out of our budget :(

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

When we got our springer spaniel back in 1980 we lived in a house with a tiny garden (about 6 square yards) and you weren't allowed a high fence so our dog couldn't go out alone. We did have direct access to common land and that made it perfectly feasible to have a dog -sounds similar to you having a park close by. We did 3 walks a day and she seemed happy with that.

I do love having a garden but if it isn't possible you can certainly manage.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have a tiny garden iwhere I stay in London, and really no garden where I stay in Cornwall (although I have a yard, handy for small puppies to have a wee etc.).

Charlie won't wee or poo in the tiny garden in London, and definitely not in the yard in Cornwall. So he goes out for wees and poos. It's fine, only it's tiring. If you have a really busy day, or are not feeling well, it's not an option to skip the multiple dog walks and some days that's not all that convenient to do.

Charlie goes out first thing, mid morning/lunch, mid afternoon, sometimes at 6pm if he hasn't had a poo earlier, then again at 9pm. So he gets up to 5 walks a day, three of which are really just for toilet breaks. It's fine, but tiring on the days when you really don't have time.

4. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

We live in an apartment with no garden, and it isn't too much of a problem.

Lucky goes out 4 times a day: first thing for a long walk and at 5pm for a long walk. Then, just for a chance to go to the toilet, we go at lunchtime and before bed.

His toilet breaks take about 20-30 minutes each out of the day, from getting ready to getting back to whatever I was doing. We have to go round the block because he won't poo anywhere on our street :rolleyes:

It does take time, but I also think it makes Lucky's day more interesting. I use the lunchtime walk as a chance to focus on walking nicely on the lead, ignoring other dogs, etc. so it's also good for training!

The hardest walk is the one before bed! There are two of us who walk him, so we alternate taking him for his last walk.

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

As long as you have somewhere to pee and poop within walking distance (obvs I mean your dog!!) then you won't need a garden.

My dog Obi only pees and poos in our garden if he's desperate - he mostly goes to the loo on walks. So a garden is kind of surplus to our requirements, even though we have a pretty decently sized one. The only thing Obi really uses it for is lying in the sun....

Cath likes this.
  6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My son has no garden and two dogs, but he had a huge green area just moments from his door , the dogs were absolutely fine with this . I`ve always had a fair sized garden so am lucky , but it isn't the be all and end all , good luck x

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just to add that a friend of mine has a massive garden, and three dogs . Her dogs rarely go for a walk because she thinks that the garden is enough . So, her dogs don't ever have the pleasure of meeting other dogs/people or new and interesting places which dogs without a garden will experience

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have a small garden and the dogs have little access to even that - a fence keeps them on the patio, I'm trying to cultivate the lawn.

They are fine :)

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Can you take your dogs with you to view the house? Then pop round to the park, and hopefully get to chat to other local dog owners to get more of a feel for the place, and what other walks are within walking distance :)

MF likes this.
  10. MF

MF Registered Users

We have a tiny garden and the door is always open. But Snowie prefers to be inside with us. He does go out alone mid morning to sunbathe for about 15-30 mins.

He does wee and poo in the garden if he needs to, particularly after breakfast, but also sometimes at arbitrary times of the day.

We sometimes go to a holiday house with a garden but no fence. So we have to keep the doors closed or just ajar otherwise we can't keep an eye on Snowie. While we love the holiday house, it is very tiring having to get up every time Snowie wants to go out - we don't not allow it in case he needs a wee or poo. Because Snowie can "go" when he pleases at home, we felt it unfair if we didn't let him out when he wanted to go out at the holiday house.

I'd imagine, however, that if you keep to a strict schedule, then your dogs will get used to holding it in till their scheduled walks. But as mentioned above, that's a lot more walks than the morning and evening walk. At the holiday house, I take Snowie on at least four walks a day, but then I'm on holiday so it's not a hardship. I don't have that much time at home, and I often work from home.

Best of luck finding the right place to live.

11. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We also have no yard and we think it keeps us from getting lazy and just putting the dog out. We have a park across the street and every pee is a 10 minute stroll so she gets lots of time outside and probably more exercise than she would with a yard! She goes out first thing, mid day, early evening and before bed. OH and I rock,paper, scissor for the last pee walk during the winter though!

12. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Thank you all for the advice and experiences, really helps a lot, and I feel more comfortable with moving forward on garden-less properties now. We're back from our viewing and the house and the park were both lovely. I wasn't able to bring the doggies although that would have been nice! The current tenant did have a lovely tiny black Lab though :)

The park was really nice and quite large, this is just a little bit of it:

[​IMG]

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Beautiful.
    You won't have to spend time on looking after a big garden so will have more time for dog walking adventures.

14. MF

MF Registered Users

Oh my word, what a park!!!!!!!!!!!! I would give up a garden for that!! Did you ask the current tenant how she managed with her Lab?

15. Granca

Granca Registered Users

The park looks lovely! A friend of mine has recently moved into a flat with her lab. It's certainly do-able, but just means that every trip outside has to be on a lead for a while until they reach a possible off-lead area (sometimes my garden!). Having the park so near to the house sounds ideal.

20180815 likes this.
  16. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Wow, that's the best looking toilet I've ever seen! ;)

Jes72, 20180815, MF and 2 others like this.
  17. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Apparently he has an arrangement with the neighbour who walks his dog for him if needed. The Lab is quite elderly and mostly blind/deaf so isn't terribly active, but oh my she was so sweet :inlove:

MF likes this.