Non-Lab related question

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by 20180815, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

It used to be done a lot in the US, don't know if it still is. :( I was looking for a toy poodle in the early 2000s and gave up trying to get one from a breeder because so many de-barked their dogs and I just couldn't stomach giving money to someone who would do that.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

ive only know one dog here in the UK who was de barked. He was looked after by a dog trainer who had fostered him then kept him. He was a cruelty case. He had brain damage from bring thrown down a flight of stairs / loft and repeatly beaten. His behaviour was very odd and he couldn't stop barking ever. He was damaging his throat making himself sick and he was totally stressed, and rather than pts they tried this after consulting a neurologist. It did work to some extent and stopped him from doing further damage to himself. He did have the best possible life with Val he went everywhere with her . He came to training and was just an eccentric chap. He had sadly to he pts around 10 because if the physical damage from his abuse finally caught up with him. He was happy though and though we all hated the fact that de barking had had to happen it was the only way for him to have any quality if life. He was a dear sweet mad thing. Scuffy funny little terrier in his last 4 years with Val he really lived.

4. 20180815

20180815 Guest

They finally came home after being gone close to 24 hours. They didn't answer the door and left again not long after. Feel sorry for those dogs.

5. MF

MF Registered Users

Could you leave them a note to say the dogs are distressed?

6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I would try to lay a complaint with the SPCA. Leaving dogs alone for close to 24 hours only to leave them again must be enough to investigate.

Dexter likes this.
  7. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

One wonders why they have dogs anyway. I suppose they think because they have two they can leave them because they are company for each other. :(

8. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Left a note, but the RSPCA is not much help. I think they are only able to focus on cases of clear cut cruelty. All of the phone tree options other than cruelty/injured animals end in an automated message. They only investigate in cases over 24 hours. I think they are probably stretched out thin.

And probably Lisa...one of them clearly has separation anxiety due to the barking.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sadly there is no safe guarding policy for vunerable animals

Rosie likes this.