Not a great day...

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Karen, Apr 20, 2018.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

So sorry for your troubles x - what a stunning photo though!

Karen likes this.
  2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sorry Karen, it is such a worry when our dogs are not well. Poor Poppy and Merlin, hopefully they are both feeling better soon. xx

Karen likes this.
  3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Very sorry to hear both your beautiful pups are having health issues. :(:hug:

Karen likes this.
  4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh no, so sorry to hear this, poor pups :(

Big hugs for you and gentle cuddles for the two hairy ones x

Karen likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh what a shame for them both.
    I suspect your house is a bit quiet right now.
    Wishing them both a speedy recovery. Its tough worrying about the furry ones.
    :hug:

Karen likes this.
  6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I'm so sorry, what a rotten time for Poppy and Merlin. You must be so worried, but it sounds like you're doing everything you can for them.

Karen likes this.
  7. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Sorry to hear that they are unwell. Hope they both make a quick recovery.

Stunning photo of a stunning girl

Karen likes this.
  8. Maxx's Mum

Maxx's Mum Registered Users

Sending lots of healing, positive thoughts for you all

Karen likes this.
  9. MF

MF Registered Users

So sorry to read this. They are both so lucky to have you to take care of them.

Have you considered laser treatment for Merlin’s tail? We had great success using it for Snowie’s slipped disc, seemed to give him immense relief and seemed to quicken the recovery. I am certain it helped with the spasm in his back muscles - it works deeply and increases circulation to the area (according to the vet).

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thank you for that!! Both dogs seem much, much better today - but I will look into the laser treatment. Our normal vet didn't mention it, but if (as seems likely) this becomes a chronic problem and we have to deal with it more often, then I'll be going to the clinic and will bring it up with them.

Emily_BabbelHund and MF like this.
  11. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Karen

Really sorry to hear about the health problems with Poppy and Merlin.

I think its perfectly natural to have some feelings of self-doubt in situations like this - could I have done this, should I have done that? However, I think its pretty clear to anybody that reads your posts that you take a great deal of care of your dogs. Unfortunately, sometimes *%!# happens and there is nothing that we can do about it but clear up afterwards! So, try not to beat yourself up about it - Poppy and Merlin are lucky to have you as their owner. Chin up :)

Karen and selina27 like this.
  12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh Karen , what a horrible worry , I am sorry for coming in late to this sad post and sorry for your distress xx

Karen likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I just want to say thank you everyone for your words of support, it's surprising how much it helps to write down worries on here and know that people understand!

Both dogs seem so much better - I took them for a paddle in the local stream yesterday and they had a lovely time cooling down. Poppy seems so much happier, and Merlin' tail seems back to normal. Of course, this morning he has a raw patch above his left eye - looks like he might have scratched it or been bitten by a mosquito, and then rubbed it in the night... Keeping an eye on it, and if it looks any worse then yup it's back to the vets again... I will be thrilled if we manage to go a full week without having to see the vet at present!!!

UncleBob, Granca, Kelsey&Axel and 8 others like this.
  14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good to know Poppy and Merlin are much better. Hopefully the raw patch is nothing to worry about. I hope you are OK too Karen xx :hug:

Karen likes this.
  15. MF

MF Registered Users

I find the worries come in waves and you feel you’re a permanent fixture at the vet. Hopefully you’ll ride the no-worries wave soon. We had a flurry of vet visits over a few months. And now none for several months (hope I’m not tempting fate!). I wish you a non-eventful week this week!

Karen likes this.
  16. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I hope that this week is an uneventful week and that things starts out to be normal for you! I don’t have words of wisdom, just that I am thinking of you!

Karen likes this.
  17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I’m glad they are both getting better. Fingers crossed that Merlin’s eye goes down without you needing to go to the vets x

Karen likes this.
  18. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

I know how you feel about frequent vet visits, I feel I should just have a weekly spot. Inky has a sore place on his foot so bucket collar back on and probably vet again tomorrow. The plus side is he knows

Karen likes this.
  19. Granca

Granca Registered Users

I hope Merlin’s eye is ok this morning and you have a vet-free week.

Karen likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Last night when we were sitting on the couch I suddenly realized what caused the red sore patch above Merlin's eye... Before he goes to sleep he has a habit of licking his paws, and then rubbing his paws over his face, like a cat washing. I looked at his dew claws, and saw they were a bit long and sharp. He must have scratched his face, and then because it was sore continued to scratch at it in the night! I clipped his dew claws and filed them to make sure they weren't rough (yup, dog manicurist as well, to add to my varied skill set :rolleyes:) - and then slept in the spare room with both dogs. This meant I could hear Merlin every time he started to lick at his paws, and could stop him with a quick 'Merlin, stop that'. Result - the sore patch looks much smaller and less red this morning! I'll see how it looks this evening and depending on how things are am prepared for another restless night. Anything for these dogs!!!