Not eating after vaccines

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by lucky_dog, Aug 1, 2017.

1. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Lucky had his annual vaccine last Monday, and since Tuesday evening he hasn't been very interested in eating either his meals or even treats on walks. It's been a week now and he still won't always eat his meals. Yesterday he ate both meals, but not very enthusiastically, and this morning he wouldn't eat his breakfast. Even if I try to hand feed him, he's not interested. I opened a new bag of dry food, in case there was something wrong with the last one, but it didn't help.

There are some bitches in season nearby, and he has been whining a bit in the house, and desperate to go out when it's time for his walks. He's only whined in the house once before because of a bitch in season. Maybe this is why he's not interested in eating.

Has anyone else had this problem after vaccines? I'm a bit hesitant to go to see the vet because Lucky hates going to the vet and I don't want to stress him out too much.

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

If he's not neutered then I strongly suspect it's the bitches in season causing him to go off his food. My sister had an entire male who behaved like this.

lucky_dog likes this.
  3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I have seen pronounced, prolonged lethargy and loss of appetite in a couple of cats after vaccination. With those two we made sure to separate the rabies vaccination from then on by a couple of weeks and that fixed them up. Vaccinations can be a major load of chemical going into the body all at once. Maybe you could ask your Vet about that, and separate as much as you can. The bitches in heat could be a complication as well but next time if you separate at least you have reduced the chance of it happening again,

lucky_dog likes this.
  4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

If he's entire, whining in the house, desperate to get out for his walks and you know there are local bitches in season I would agree with @Joy that the lack of appetite is down to that. Vaccinations can impact appetite but usually only in the day or so after.

Some entire boys aren't bothered by the proximity of bitches in heat others can become very distressed and one of the most common symptoms is the lack of appetite.

lucky_dog likes this.
  5. MF

MF Registered Users

Can you call your vet and let him/her know your concerns - without having to take your dog there. And if your vet feels it is a problem, then go in?

lucky_dog likes this.
  6. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty sure it is because of the bitches in season now - he is entire.

He was acting normally on walks until yesterday morning, when he started looking obsessively for scents, and he doesn't have any hunting instincts. This morning, we saw 6 dogs and he didn't care about any of them, except for the only unspayed bitch, which is unusual for him because he always wants to say hello and play.

This week Lucky's met four bitches in season, one was a tiny chihuahua who went through her garden fence onto the street to say hello. Her owner eventually managed to recall her back into the garden :rolleyes:

The vet always says to go in and see them, they aren't willing to give advice over the phone if they haven't seen the dog - which I do sort of understand.

I think we'll just avoid other dogs, stick to on lead walks and play games at home for a couple of days to help him calm down a bit!

MF likes this.