Not sure if he is purebred

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Labss, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Labss

Labss Registered Users

I'm planning on buying my puppy within the next 6 weeks, I've been speaking on and off with a breeder and she seems lovely, sent me lots of pictures, gave me lots of info, and I put down a deposit.

I've been a bit concerned though, I've done my own research and found out people can bread black great danes with black labradors?! In one of the photos (I didn't notice this before) I can see a little bit of white mixed in with the puppies (maybe it's the blanket and I'm going nuts worrying about this?) - She lives 2 hours away from me so it's not possible to see the pups until I'm able to pick him up.. I don't want to drive 2 hours for nothing. Mum looks like a labrador.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (You can see the white under the 2nd puppies chin)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I know it may be hard to tell since they're only 3 weeks, but I'm hoping for some more information from breeders with experience, I'm paying a lot for a pup and don't want to get ripped off.
    Thanks.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    May I bring your attention to this rule:

f) Requests for confirmation of pedigree/ID Forum members may not post photographs of their dogs for the purpose of asking other members to confirm that their puppy/dog is a pedigree dog.

I assume that, if you're paying a lot of money, that you have requested to see the health certificates for both parents and will have the appropriate Kennel Club certificates. They should set your mind at rest.

It is possible to have white bits on pedigree black Labradors (my own black bitch has two white hairs on her body, and faint Bolo spots on her paws), but you need to consult your breeder for the proof of pedigree.

Snowshoe and MaccieD like this.
  3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Agree with @snowbunny. Any queries on pedigree should be discussed with the breeder and resolved by the relevant registration certificates of the parents, together with all the health certificates (eyes, hips, elbows etc.).

My chocolate girl has a couple of white hairs which is perfectly normal.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there and welcome to the forum. As you have not yet purchased your puppy, so it does not yet belong to you, I am happy to comment.

It is not possible to determine a dog's pedigree by appearance. Many purebred labradors will not look like perfect classic Labradors. And many cross bred Labradors will look just like purebred labs. White hairs are not uncommon in labs, though they are not considered desirable.

There are two ways to tell whether or not a Labrador is a pedigree, though the first is not foolproof

The first way is by the pedigree registration certificate of the bitch and the mating certificate with the stud dog's details - Your breeder should be able to show you these. If you don't know what a valid certificate looks like you'll need to get someone who does know, to look at them. This method is not foolproof because if the bitch owner also owns more than one dog, it is possible that they switched dogs. It is also possible that the papers are falsified.

The second way is with DNA testing. And this is not likely to be an option open to you if the breeder doesn't have the certificates described above.

If you are not satisfied with the paperwork for these dogs, it probably makes sense to seek out another litter.

Cath likes this.
  5. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My first Lab, Tammy, had a small white flash on her chest. it's quite common on a black Lab. Her pedigree was impeccable with many FTCH on both sides.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I chose my Lab because he had a white stripe down the back of his 'ankle'. Some white goes back to a very famour Labrador in the 1920's called Banchory Bolo.

As with Holly's Dad, my Lab has many FTCH in his pedigree, his Father, Grandfather, Grandsire etc etc were all FTCH as were many of the bitches. I have also seen his Grandfather as well as his cousins!

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

white bits are common ask to see the relevant paper work.

8. laurenxo

laurenxo Registered Users

Gorgeous pups