Now we are both limping

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Pilatelover, Jan 29, 2016.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor you, I wish you luck with your operation and a speedy recovery. I totally sympathise with having your Pointer exercised by someone not used to them :eek:;) x

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@Pilatelover It's perfectly natural to be scared/apprehensive prior to surgery - I know what I was like before my last operation which was a few weeks before Juno joined us. try not to worry and try to focus on the difference the op will make to your life. You've got Mabel well organised and with the minimum amount of disruption to her which is good for you as well (less reason to worry). Hugs from me and licks from Juno xx

Pilatelover likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Firstly i just want to give you my best wishes. I hope the op goes well and you heal well. I also like to second the advise about limiting your vistiors and making everyone wash their hand when they do visit. Get home as ASAP the hospital enviroment is never a good one physically or mentally.

Prepare your dog as much as possible for your absence (I had to train Doug to wee on command as he was so upset he wouldn't go, well more train my OH to use the commands that were already there) and see if its possible for Mabel to visit the hospital. I met my OH in the car park sometimes in a wheelchair just to see my chaps. I am usually quiet mobile though so I don't know if this would be practical for you. Well I'm either mobile or unconcious. They will try to mobilze you as soon as poss.

You will see a whole new side to Mabel when you do get home, I was amazed how calm and careful my bouncy dogs became. My relationship with them has only deepened and I was really touched how they tried to look after me in their own way. I love them but didn't realise the depth of their care and love for me

Newbie Lab Owner and Pilatelover like this.
  4. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

@sdegg thanks for your suggestions, I'd said a while ago absolutely no visitors apart from OH, at one point I said he couldn't visit then he got a bit cross :rolleyes: Apparently as soon as I can manage the stairs they will allow me home. I'm really fortunate as Ive got private healthcare and the hospital only has 42 ensuite rooms. I've heard the food is good especially the breakfasts. :)
    OH said yesterday he has noticed how Mabel watches me I intensly while I try to get in and out of the chair. She still pulls a little too much on the lead, but there's no doubt she walks more by my side off lead now than she did before. I have also noticed if someone is jogging or walking very fast towards me she will bark. OH said she never does that with him. I'm now thinking she's protecting me, we will see if it continues once I'm fighting fit and I can then sort it out. I'm amazed really as she's only 14 month.

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  5. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Best of luck with your operation and do all you are told to do.
    And as for Mabel being behind in her training, change that thought to, Mabel is where she is in her training, she will continue with it when the time is right for both of you. There are lots of quiet games you can play and still be teaching her.
    Best wishes and keep positive, keep telling yourself 'all will be well' :)

Pilatelover likes this.
  6. Pilatelover

I'ma week post surgery all went well after a few initial bad days. Mabel arrived from doggie boarding yesterday having had the best time in the world, and she went and hid from OH when he went to collect her. :eek:
    I am absolutely blown away by her attitude towards me. She is kind and gentle doesn't race around sits by my feet and just looks at me. I swear I looked into her eyes and she was crying. There was an expression I had never seen before. As movement is so restricted I've taught her today to only take treats off my knee and we have done a spot of reading. I'm going to see if I can get her to put socks from washing machine to tumble dryer. Maybe a tall order we will see. :)
    She also took OH on one of their special walks. Time to take a deep breath. :D

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@Pilatelover I was wondering how you were after the op but didn't want to pester you with messages if you weren't feeling good. So pleased to hear that you are slowly on the mend, just make sure you take it easy.

Didn't we all sort of say that Mabel would be a star after your operation;):p Really pleased though that Mabel is being such a good girl for you - love it though that she hid from OH as she had been having such fun :). Most important now is that you follow all the medical advice and start looking forward to that first walk you'll be able to make with your special girl xx

Pilatelover likes this.
  8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good to hear from you, glad all is well. Take it easy!

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So glad that your op went well
    I do think they know when you aren't right. After cortisone injections in my spine Harley would come and snuggle up with me, but would go nuts when my OH got home. Harley wouldn't be rough anywhere near me.
    Good luck with the sock training

Pilatelover likes this.
  10. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

So pleased your op went well and Mabel's being so gentle. Take it easy. x

11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Great news your op went well,.. now to take it slow and relax!

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good news :)
    Follow the instructions, now ;) and have a safe but speedy recovery!

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. It sounds like Mabel is looking after you well :)

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lovely to hear from you and your happy reunion with Mabel. Please take care of yourself, the quicker you recover the quicker you can back to walking your girl!! Good girl Mabel xx :)

Pilatelover likes this.
  15. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Great to hear things are going well. Good girl Mabel :). I love that she hid from your OH when he went to pick her up :D. At least that confirmed that you she was happy on her little holiday.

Rest up and hope you continue to recover well x

16. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Glad your op went well. Don't forget to take it easy.x

17. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Glad to hear that you're now recovering and that Mabel is being a star. How's the sock training going?!

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a little star! Told you she'd surprise you... Now you take it very, very easy; follow instructions to the letter and try not to do too much too soon. Hope you are not in too much pain. It will get better with each day.

19. Pilatelover

You did indeed, thank you she's wonderful.
    Im just really stiff and sore, no pain. Apparently the joint was an absolute mangled mess the surgeon was amazed at the way I have deteriorated in such a short time from my initial visit in December. No wonder I couldn't walk in the end.
    Although I'm a bit jealous as OH is off on my favourite walk now but I've treated myself to some reading material by Karen Pryor which I'm enjoying. Plus I've got the forum. :)

Naya and drjs@5 like this.
  20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh, I've just remembered something! Does Mabel pick stuff up if you tell her to 'fetch'? I really made use of that with Poppy, because you're not allowed to bend down, I used to get OH to hide her toys all around the house and then would send her to find them and bring them back to me one by one... a nice gentle game we could play together. And also when I needed help picking things up, such as my socks or whatever, I would ask her to pick them up and give them to me. :)

As you know, it's a bit of a bind going up or down stairs, and when you do you invariably realize you've forgotten something and have to call your OH to come and help... I considered using the dog whistle to call him, but luckily managed to restrain myself, as I think that might have been a step too far!!! I did find that a dog training vest with many pockets was very useful for moving around the house, because of course you need both hands for your crutches so it's almost impossible to carry anything around with you in your hands.