Obesity gene in Labradors (and Flatcoats)

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Jojo83, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Weight is always a concern for Labrador owners and a gene has been identified that influences appetite in our dogs - that's Labradors, Flatcoats or any cross with these breeds. Well it is now possible to have a test to determine whether your dog is Clear of the gene, carries one copy or has two copies. Further information available from Animal Health Trust. The test is, I suspect, only available in the UK with the AHT.

https://www.ahtdnatesting.co.uk/tests/pomc-mutation-appetite-and-obesity/

2. Tracey D

Tracey D Registered Users

Interesting that the test is available but I can't really see how it will make any difference.
    Obesity is in the hands of the owner just like it is with your own body. Don't overfeed, watch what you feed, match food to exercise and no snacking.Get to know your dogs ideal weight by sight and feel and adjust diet accordingly, to keep it.......and don't fall for pleading brown eyes lol. I would think my dog has this gene. A few meaty bones extra in one week and I notice a weight change. When I do that now , I reduce his regular feed to compensate

Aisling Labs, Snowy, charlie and 4 others like this.
  3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

My BIL has that gene. :)

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I do take this with a pinch of salt; there is definitely more to Labradors' propensity to eat everything in sight than this gene alone. Only 23% of Labs carry the gene, so the percentage actually affected will be less than this. A far higher percentage of Labs would eat to excess given the chance. I think the danger is that people will take this as a license for their dogs to be obese.

5. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Think I may have that gene :$

Lin and kateincornwall like this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Oh I know I have that gene, Labradors are my kindred spirits :nod: Cassie though is really skinny right now.

FayRose likes this.
  7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Me to:angel:

selina27 likes this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Please lets not give some Labrador owners another excuse to over feed their dogs. Over feeding = overweight, nothing new there :rolleyes: x

Aisling Labs, Snowy and snowbunny like this.