Obi spaniels training log

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by bbrown, Feb 6, 2015.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

By the way that's his chilled out look, keen looks entirely different :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. bbrown

Our clicker retrieve seems to be going quite well, we're pretty much doing clicker retrieve for one or both meals per day. I've resisted the temptation to take the dummy mostly and am just getting to that now inside. I still get the odd duck away but then I just go back to clicking and letting the dummy drop on the floor. I feel I'm genuinely becoming disinterested in getting the dummy in my hand and hopefully that will mean less pressure on Obi. I did our first session outside on a small patio today and he picked the dummy up and headed away from me so I just waited. He knew I had cheese in my tub. Luckily he's a greedy little sausage so back he came, I clicked, he dropped, he got cheeeeeeeese :) I did lots of C&T with drops outside until he stopped trying to move away. Towards the end of the session I got some eye contact with dummy in mouth. I stopped there.......

3. bbrown

Another session inside with dinner and I stood with my shoulders firmly pressed against the door to stop me looming in any way. I was getting a good sit in front and drop so I wanted to offer my hand without looming. This meant I adopted a very elegant pose - body upright, knees bent as if sitting with feet apart so I could just have my hand dropped, open palm, in front of me. I looked like I was doing so,e kind of crazy exercise to prepare for skiing or something!

Anyway it seemed to work and obi happily trotted up dumped the dummy in my hand and looked for his dinner. A good few of those and dinner was over. Pleased so far :)

4. bbrown

we're getting a pretty consistent delivery to hand inside although Obi's excited so not really pushing the dummy into my hand more like flinging himself and the dummy towards my hand and expecting me to have got hold of the dummy which is sometimes easier said than done with his enthusiasm!!

In the meantime his hunting has gone a bit awry as I've been avoiding dummies outside. So I've been thinking about what to do out and about while we try and fix the dummy thing. In the end I've gone back to basics and am working on his off lead heel and recall aided and abetted by a LOT of treats!!

It feels a bit sad but obviously needed as I've clearly been relying on a lead to keep him close. I was pleased today to get 50 odd paces of proper offlead heelwork out of him in a smelly field. I started off with little stints treating at 10 paces and worked up to treating at 25. I also had to change direction a lot at first but was pretty much on a straight line by the end. We did some sit/stays with me wandering around and a bit of quatering. All in all a good session and clearly what's needed!!!!!

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sounds like a good session Barbara and I remember being told 10 steps forward and a few back but you will have things back on track.

Sometimes the simplest training is best for a while. I would be chuffed to achieve any of what you do :rolleyes: x

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

How old is Obi now, Barbara?

7. bbrown

He's 16 months and very excitable in general so I'm doing lots of calming exercises with him. I was keen not to squash his enthusiasm but I need more control so he needs to be much calmer.

8. bbrown

Thank you Helen :)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Calm is good....calm is good....I keep telling Charlie. :)

I think you are doing exactly the right thing. Obviously you and Obi are in a different league, but I got absolutely nowhere with Charlie until I could get him to calm down a bit.

Because I'm not as serious as you are with Obi, my games helped - catch, tug and runaround. My lifesavers when I can't use dummies.

10. bbrown

Calm is good, I think Obi and Charlie are very similar in many ways :D
    We had another session on an open field yesterday where he settled much more quickly. It's going to take a lot of work but it will be worth it!!

We went up to the shoot this morning with the keeper while he was putting feed out. There weren't a lot of birds around but obviously there was a lot of scent!! Obi stayed on his lead most of the time which to be honest was a bit of a nightmare but once he'd got over the first flush of enthusiasm we got some good attention on the go and did some good sit/stays off his lead with Riley sat next to him while I had a wander round.

I've identified some good patches of cover to work Obi in where I don't think he can get too out of shape. They're thick enough to slow him down and keep him contained so we're going back on Friday and I'll leave Riley at home so I only have one dog.

They also have a fantastic pond for retrieving practice with two islands in the middle which they haven't put any ducks on this year so I'm trying to line up some retrieving on there for Riley at some point!

Both dogs had a lovely swim in there today to tire them out so I'm surrounded by eu de chien at the moment :D

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ooh lucky you the pond with the two islands sounds perfect for water practice!

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

How's your aim? Good enough to get the dummy to land on one of the islands? Mine certainly wouldn't be - it's horrible!

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sounds lovely!

mmmm....I know Obi is a super well bred hunting spaniel, and Charlie is a loon of a chocolate Lab, but I do have to say I see a very similar glint in their eyes, particularly when it comes to dummies.....

14. bbrown

The pond is perfect. Depending where you stand the swims vary from 5 - 20m. My aim isn't great but you only have to throw 5m and then move round (that's the plan anyway ;) )

15. bbrown

I don't know what you mean......

ok yes you're right, they're both nutters when it comes to dummies *flings hands in the air in exasperation* ;)

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

:D:D:D

Nutty dogs are the most fun.

17. bbrown

18. bbrown

And endless clicker retrieve. I now have a drop on the click on the patio in the back garden woohoooooooo

Next................GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

He really is terrifically sweet...

20. bbrown

He's terrifically potty!!!....... :rolleyes: :cool: