Obi's obedience class

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Oberon, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Obi's obedience class

Oh Rachael,I just love him!he is so precise and definite I could give him a great big cuddle,I really appreciate you putting this on,it's given me an idea of how to create my jumps for when we get going ....we've been so delayed by the last couple of weeks,once the cone is off we will start to practice.....the size of my board isn't actually that different to the one that is being used there .....I thought mine might have been a bit of an unrealistic amateur one but it looks good........x

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Glad you liked the vids! :D Another thing to note is that the dogs are released from the right hand side (as you face down the line of jumps). Then the handlers take a few steps to cross over to the left so the dogs come out of the last jump veering off to the handler's left. That is to avoid collisions between outgoing and incoming dogs. In on the right, out on the left. You could build that into your training too :)

The jumps aren't very fancy - just made out of plywood and painted :) I'm sure yours are more than fine!!

The world record for flyball was recently broken by an American team - I think it was Rocket Relay. I'll try to find some footage of it.

3. Oberon

No, sorry, it was Spring Loaded. They ran 14.733 seconds - that's for 4 dogs. Here's the link to the official video (it only shows the passes at the gate and the time) but it won't play on my iPad.... http://www.flyball.org/video/SL_14733_10192013M.mov

4. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Obi is brilliant Rachael. It looks great fun. ;D

That little corgi albert can certainly shift. ;D

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think that's fab! Good boy Obi. (I don't think he is slow, he is just being careful).

6. Oberon

[quote author=Jen link=topic=1906.msg32531#msg32531 date=1382965080]
    Obi is brilliant Rachael. It looks great fun. ;D

That little corgi albert can certainly shift. ;D
    [/quote]

It sure is great fun. Yelling is compulsory :D Albert is going really well. He's what's called a 'height dog', meaning he'll be the shortest dog in a team and will set the height of the jumps for the whole team. The jump height is 4 inches lower than the shoulder height of the shortest dog (down to a minimum jump height of 7 inches). Since Albert is so short, his team would just be running over the 7 inch base boards you see in our vids. The max jump height is 14 inches. Although Albert moves along well, short dogs generally can't go as fast as a bigger dog, so it's all a trade-off between jump height and dog speed. The ideal team is made up of a shortish, fast dog and then the rest larger dogs.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh lovely Obi well done, he likes to take his time, love it. ;D

When I did agility with Charlie, oh my lord I just couldn't keep up he was round the course before I had made it to the first jump :eek:

8. Oberon

That's pretty funny - Agility is way too much running for me!!!

Obi is pretty chilled about it ;D but he should get faster..... He should easily be able to do his run in under 6 seconds. At the moment he is still double stepping between each jump but eventually he should just take one step. I'm not too bothered by the speed as I know that a competition will start to take care of that for me. The most important thing at the moment is that he is accurate and neat.....doing ok there :)

We are also still doing our obedience classes which are now at 10:30am on Sundays. Flyball is 3pm on Sundays, so Sunday is now Dog Day. Good thing we live close to the dog club!

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=1906.msg32601#msg32601 date=1382993031]
    short dogs generally can't go as fast as a bigger dog
    [/quote]

I've been wondering about this, generally I mean, rather than for flyball.

Charlie plays with his puppy class mate Rocky, 8 month old cocker bitch, on the common. Boy, she's fast and a quarter of Charlie's height. He can't corner as fast as she can, and looks like a lumbering lump in comparison. He gets his own back by legging the chase game up windmill hill in a straight line, where he wins about half way up. So does it depend on turns and distance?

10. Oberon

Agility definitely matters too :) So does jumping ability. A short dog often can't take one stride in between the jumps (which are 10 feet apart) and that slows them down. But there are always exceptions and, in Flyball, they are like gold!!! Sounds like we need more Cockers!!!! :D

A Labrador is not the kind of dog I was thinking of when I was thinking of a bigger Flyball dog - I was thinking more of a BC or Kelpie. They are taller, but still light, agile and fast. A Labrador is the Sherman Tank of the Flyball world - but I have certainly seem some very fast working type Labs in Flyball.

We have a few Labs doing Flyball now and we hope to have a Labrador team eventually :D

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Great videos!!! I think Obi looks so accurate and you can see how that will pay dividends as he speeds up :D

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=1906.msg32610#msg32610 date=1382994556]
    A Labrador is the Sherman Tank of the Flyball world

We have a few Labs doing Flyball now and we hope to have a Labrador team eventually :D
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

Go the labs!

I do wonder why labs dominate gundog retrieving when I see the spaniels though - bashing through stuff maybe?