OCD diagnosis for our 2 pups with possible hip replacement ...

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Lynette, Nov 25, 2013.

1. hd

hd Registered Users

Re: OCD diagnosis for our 2 pups with possible hip replacement ...

So pleased to hear that there's good news, especially for Bella. My thoughts are with Beaux and hope that she continues to improve and will be home with you soon.

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Lynette, I hope you are doing ok and the pups are both continuing to improve?
    You are in my thoughts...
    Best wishes
    Angela x

3. Lynette

Lynette Registered Users

Hello all, thanks again for your lovely messages ... we are doing ok this end ... Bella came home yesterday and was ecstatic to see us ... she is doing really well albeit with 3 legs post op and one leg awaiting the hip transplant! We had a teary reunion yesterday and she was handed back to us with a harness on and a sling to support her hips and sadly the cone of shame which she HATES! Nevertheless she is coping amazing well all things considered and I think is just happy to be home now .. refusing to sleep in her crate but insisting on being lifted onto the sofa next to me where she is currently snoring!

She is shaved pretty much all over with the exception of her back and head and all in all is a sorry sight limping along with her harness, sling and cone on ... however, she is eating like a horse and moving ok, she struggles to get comfortable as she has so many sore points with her stitches but I think the cone frustrate her as she cant lick anything or even hold a cows ear as a treat or play with anything as in effect her front paws are out of action.

In summary a happy dog to be back but v low in mood, she was looking for Beaux everywhere when she got home so I hope her arrival home tomorrow will lift both their spirits - I am a bit concerned though on how I will cope with both of them, its really difficult with one and my hubbie and I are literally taking it in turns to not leave her as she is refusing to go in the cage at the moment ... she slept in it last night in our room but kept Jon awake all night long moving around so hopefully if I get he rot go in regularly today she will be ok to sleep downstairs when Beaux gets home tomorrow ....

Bella can walk on her won but isnt v stable so at the moment I am taking her on a lead and the sling everywhere, its v intense (!) we need to lift he rover any steps and await a dog ramp for the garden steps ... her hip look wonky at the monebt when she walks but hopefully this will stabilise as she gets stronger, her front paws look ok but I have to be careful she doesnt put too much pressur eon those - incredible when you think she only had surgery under a week ago!!!!!

A tough time ahead but I DO NOT regret what we have done in any way, it is heart breaking to see her so unhappy and I feel terrible but I know she has a long happy life ahead and so whenever i feel tearful I have to remember the long term goal and know that the girls would thank us for the choice we made, even if not now!!! I have to say so far Im incredibly impressed with what Fitzpatrick has achieved so fingers crossed the good recovery continues ...

As regards my son - thanks for asking, yes it is difficult, he is picking up on the turmoil/upset and is requiring all my attention which is making it v tough, if I leave the room he literally screams for me so we do have a juggling act ahead to keep everyone happy ....

Once again ill keep you all posted once Beau xis home ... thanks again for the best wishes and prayers, we are a long way off recovery yet but Im beginning to feel better about everything and at the moment am convicted that we did the right thing for our beautiful girls afterall :)

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You definitely did the best for your girls, but I really hope that breeder never ever produces pups again.

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Thanks for posting, Lynette, glad to hear Bella is home.

One suggestion - Do you have someone to help you with the pups so that you can spend some one on one time with your boy so that he is getting that time with you that he needs, without the puppy care dominating everything? I'm worried for you, the stress of all this is unimaginably difficult, and to add to it a toddler who will likely start acting out or taking his frustrations out on these pups who all of a sudden have taken over Mum's lives would be likely something that could make it all too much to cope with (which it must be close to doing now).

And not to mention that in the midst of intense child-care and pup-care, you need some time to yourself to get away and get some small breaks of sanity.

Do you have family/friends that could take an hour here and there of pup management?

Likely you have already thought of this and have something in place, but if not, please consider it. If you fall apart under the stress then everything will fall apart - us mums are often the hinge on which everything swings, and if you as a hinge gets "wonky" then it all does.

Prayers continuing here....the worst part will be the next few weeks when the pups are just starting their recovery....hang in there and know you can always come here for a good wail when you need to....

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

So good to hear from you Lynette , especially as the news is much better re Beaux , you are truly amazing people for doing this for your pups , things can only get better now, every day is another step forward . I too hope that the breeder will never again impose such misery onto prospective buyers or to the pups , thank you again for the update x

7. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

thank you for posting , my thoughts and prayers are with you x

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good News Lynette - and Beaux is coming home too? - much sooner than you thought - good news for her indeed. Hope they will settle a little more when they are back as a pair.
    Poor wee souls though.
    Good on you for making the best of it - just hang on in there.
    Agree with Lisa - if you can factor in time for children and time for YOURSELF you will be much better able to cope
    xx

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I hope that one day you'll be posting for us happy pictures of your girls romping on the beach - and all this will be just a horrid memory. We'll be so happy for you when we see those pictures. Hope you stay strong through it all, look after yourself.

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Very much with you in thought as having been through something similar, but only one dog though. You mentioned a cow/pig ear for Bella to chew (except she couldn't because of the cone - we didn't have a cone) I was told that Drift couldn't have anything like that, Kong or bone as it put weight on the elbow to hold it, so do check with your vet. Otherwise, you are well on the way to having a happy dog. I think I said before that the elbow op was much worse to cope with post operatively than the hip replacement. So the worst is over.

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Lynette,I'll reply properly tomorrow,but thanks for the update,honestly,I think about you every day...you are doing amazing ,your girls are going to make it and like Julie says we are going to love seeing the happy pics of them playing,and I can't wait until I hear a post about you moaning about their mischief ;D
    Bella is doing so well,but Beaux should be aka Force ( Francais) strength because she is a little fighter x

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So great to hear that the dogs and you will all be reunited soon. It must be very tough right now - but it will get better. I really take my hat off to you. You're doing a superb thing for these girls.

I'm curious about the hip operations - what was the procedure they have had on their hips?

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lynette, you are doing such a great job and before you know it your beautiful little girls will be running rings round you and it will all be a distant memory. You are in my thoughts every single day, stay strong. Helen xxxxx

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Not to add to another thing to do for you, Lynette, but while my pooch was "coned" for his neuter I would hold the Nylabone for him so he could have a chew....so might be something to try if pups need cheering up....

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I am so pleased to here Bella is home and that Beaux will be following soon :). My hubby asks if there are any updates every night, you are all in our thoughts. I know it's hard, but do try and have some 1-2-1 with your son and some time for you. Best wishes always. Ternaya and Harley - sending the girls sloppy licks (4 months old)

16. Lynette

Lynette Registered Users

Hello everyone, its been a crazy three days since we picked Beaux up and bought her home but here a mini update and responses to your questions too ...
    Beaux and Bella were ecstatic to see one another and Im convinced that now they are home they are improving greatly, just seeing one another and being with us has made a difference. Beaux is still v poorly, her elbows are so sore and she struggles to put any weight on them so yes, the elbows are the biggest concern as in comparison Bell ai s already wanting to run and jump - incredible really!

Its been a tough few days as the girls go crazy when out int heir cages or if i leave the room, they have become quite anxious due to the separation from each other and mainly me ad so they panic if they cant see me, thus i have literally camped out int he lounge most of the week but it is getting difficult so any tips on crating would be really appreciated :)!!! I literally went out fdor an hour today while my cleaner stayed here and Beaux went crazy and weed in her crate and was so stressed out I had to come home - poor babies, but boy this is tough on us too as Jon and I have been up at 3am and 5 am as they are howling!

I have organised for a dog sitter/walker to come meet them this afternoon to cover my sons arrival home so I can just be with him (thnaks for the advice on that) she walks a choc lab with a bionic leg and long term I would like them to become familiar with her so I can lean her ...

As regards the ops they had a TPO - triple pelvic ostetomy- done on the hips so basically the hip was cut in three places, rotated back and pinned to keep it in its socket. The total hip replacement has to be done in Jan as the socket is too shallow to hold the hip. Heres a link to an overview ... http://dcvets.org/surgical/tpo.pdf

In all the stress I cant remember if it was a TPO or DPO but am 95% sure he had to do the TPO in the end - however the hip op is not as bad as the elbows they are coping remarkably well with the hip considering the other hip is useless and the only leg holding them up!

Once again I so appreciate your comments - I have not had time Julie yet to address the breeder issue but will do so next week, I have spoken with her and she is claiming to be aghast insisting that there has never been dysplasia in any of her litters, however i have been told that it must been in both sire and dam lines to have caused this in so severely in all 4 paws. She has agreed to get the sister to the girls x rayed in jan but so far has not committed to calling the other puppy owners as she says she doesnt want to scare them before xmas!!!! I will be taking this further just havent had the time yet to do v much on it!

I will post some pics up when I get a chance to upload some :) although they are a bit of a sorry state!

All in all we are getting there and I am beginning to believe that we might have saved our girls lives :)
    Love to all a d thank you for the prayers / good karma Beaux still needs it and come Jan they will need it even more for the next op! :(
    xx

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a story. So glad the girls are home, it must be so hard on all of you. ARe channel 4 still interested?

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

So pleased you're all together again, hopefully they'll improve so quickly that the Jan op won't seem so daunting.

All the very best from us :)

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Poor little things but at least they are home and together and will be much happier.

Hope you manage to have a lovely Christmas. Try not to think too much about January. One day at a time and it will soon be over. :D

20. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thank you again for the update Lynette , its so heartwarming to hear that they are so improved in spirit and this will help them to heal .
    Your girls are so lucky to have you :) :)