Off to the vets...

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by snowbunny, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Just catching up - so sorry Willow is struggling with this. Here's hoping with you that the meds can make some difference for her.

2. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Poor Willow, fingers crossed this works for her! Your vet sounds amazing:)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You are a very good doggy Mummy.

I hope the meds help - definitely the way to go I think.

4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I'm really glad you are sharing Willow's story and what you are doing to help her. As I've already mentioned, Brogan had some serious issues with noise as well and I got so frustrated because I thought I'd tried everything and nothing helped. Even though I'd take him to the vet at the drop of a pin for anything else, it never even occurred to me to consult the vet for the noise sensitivity.

Hopefully by learning more here with Willow and the few other Forum members who have shared their battles with this issue, if my next dog also shows signs I can do more than just sitting with him and worrying.

Beanwood likes this.
  5. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Sorry I'm only just catching up with this! I am so sorry to hear this!

You are doing everything you can and in the best way possible! I hope you get something sorted soon and Willow feels better, Its such a shame we cant tell them how safe and loved they are and they understand.

Thinking of you! x

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

High winds overnight mean wind drift (piles of snow forming dangerously) and so more blasting this morning. Sigh. Still, day one of medication so hopefully we'll see some improvement over the next few days. I'm going to start a journal so I can document what has happened each day and how she's been.

Pilatelover likes this.
  7. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Just saw this now. Please don't think you've failed her, Fiona. You wouldn't say that a person suffering from anxiety had failed if they decided to use medication. I know dogs aren't people, but if she needs medication to get her equilibrium back then I don't see how that's a bad thing. I hope that in a few weeks time you start to see improvements :)

8. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

You are doing the right thing for Willow,Fiona. Proud of you writing about it because it will help us al! Big hug.

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I will keep everything crossed the medication helps little Willow to bounce back to her normal self xx Give her a big hug from us xx

10. snowbunny

Pilatelover and kateincornwall like this.
  11. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I'm glad she is a little better, just read your journal and I doubt it is your imagination. A journal is such a good idea as it gives a focus, if down the line Willow takes a step back you can re read it and take comfort in how far she will have come. I have an old diary in which I've written rambling thoughts before writing them in a more coherent manner on the forum. It's been a godsend in hindsight.

snowbunny likes this.
  12. snowbunny

I was looking for an app to record it and then just thought, hey, I might as well do it on here because it may help someone else down the line, who knows?

13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Journals are invaluable , giving a good and accurate recollection of what went before , good luck Willow x

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor girl. I hope the meds help settle her soon x

15. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I'm sure it will help someone else, that was one of the reasons I wrote about Mabel.

16. Granca

Granca Registered Users

It's good to see that she's been out and seems a bit better, but the food craving is odd. Is that a side effect of the medication?

17. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Mostly Curious, are they using hand charges, avalaunchers or artillery?

I'm surprised that Willow is bothered by Blasting, but not by fireworks. Here the fireworks, especially the mortars are usually louder than the Avy Blasts.

Is she also bothered by thunder?

18. snowbunny

Yup, Rivotril can be used as an appetite stimulant!

In our immediate area, they generally use hand charges and sometimes bomb from the heli. In the adjoining area, they have a lot of Gazex, too.

She's not bothered by thunder. Fireworks are far less boomy than the blasting. It's a far deeper, more encompassing noise. But, I don't think it's necessarily the noise in itself, as that wouldn't explain the fear of birds swooping or gunshot. Whether it's something to do with the unpredictability of it, I don't know - thunder is accompanied by the changes in pressure and fireworks have the flashes to help her anticipate the noise. But that's just guessing.

19. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Poor, poor, Willow. You know how much I feel for you and Willow. It is so hard when they are so scared and you've worked so hard already with her fears and anxiety. Just sending my thoughts and a big supportive ((((hugs))))

20. snowbunny

Thanks Jes, I know you know exactly what it's like with H x