Oh dear, I'm completely at a loss what to do ...

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Boogie, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lovely Bruce (11 month old GR) arrived this morning to complete his training before Big School. Hes a GD pup. He's been here before and is a joy to care for. Tatze loves him, as she does all the pups.

Mr Boogs took the two dogs for a long walk so that Bruce could find his paws before they came in.

He settled immediately.

Then the two (3 year old) dogs arrived. Tatze greeted him happily.

Zaba (entire male) greeted him, then tried to hump him. He's been trying to hump him ever since. If I put Zaba on a lead he's panting and whimpering as if Bruce (neutered male) is a bitch on heat. I put him in his crate for an hour or two, he didn't sleep - just panted.

Zaba never tries to hump Tatze and I've never seen him do it to any other dog, or any object or person either. Bruce is just puppyish and thinks Zaba is playing. He isn't - it's very sexual behaviour.

Any ideas what I can do? Anyone else dealt with this problem?

Zaba is with us for two more weeks while my friend is on holiday. Bruce will be here for about two months.

:hmm::hmm:

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh crumbs! That doesn't sound good at all!

Obviously the first thought is separation. If Zaba will still eat his meals I'd be tempted to see if he gets over it whilst keeping them apart. All the dogs I know who've struggled with bitches have dropped condition as they struggle to eat or sleep.

I don't have any first hand experience to offer though I'm afraid. Good luck!!!!

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Check Bruce's ears and anal glands. Sometimes an infection can (to other dogs..) give off an odour that is confusing.

bbrown and Snowshoe like this.
  4. Boogie

Yes, that's what I've done so far.

Good point - Bruce was getting over an ear infection when he came to me last time.

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Yes, I've heard/read infected ears and anal glands can confuse other dogs too. Not much help I guess as if they are they aren't going to clear up in a few minutes. Unless, unless ear meds might have an odour that camouflages the infected odour? I'm not sure it even need to be an infection, just a bit of yeast or bacteria or dirt might do it. Mouthwash on Bruce's coat? I have used it as per conformation show people to impart a nice scent and lustre.

6. Boogie

I'm going to try giving them both a good wipe over in Cowboy Magic!

I have inspected Bruce's ears and they are fine.

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

No advice to offer I'm afraid, just wanted to say good luck and I hope you get something sorted between them

8. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, I don't have any experience here either with this. Sounds odd - maybe a vet could give you some ideas as to the cause and therefore how to stop this?

9. Boogie

I separated them yesterday then last night I gave them both a good rub down with Cowboy Magic - especially in the nether regions! They slept in different rooms.

And .... All is well!

Normal play this morning. Phew!! I was anticipating a miserable two weeks for us all.

Thanks everyone for your support - I sure needed it! I was keen not to involve my supervisor if possible, as it was nothing to do with Bruce's behaviour.

:)

Debs and Karen like this.
  10. bbrown

Thank goodness!!!!!!

So relieved for you. That could have been a long two weeks o_O

11. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

That is FASCINATING. I've not heard that before. Pongo is really not interested in humping.....I've only seen him hump a couple of times, he is much more likely to be the humpee ;). But on just two occasions he has developed an absolute fixation on a specific dog - once on one of our Severnside walkies (not one of the forum dogs, another that was in the same area), and once when staying at his doggyholls place. In both cases he became absolutely desperate to hump them (and with 42kg of over-excited Pongo that isn't a particularly pleasant experience for any pooch :().

A hidden source of "confusing smell" would explain that so well (especially the one at doggyholls because the dog in question was quite elderly and <cough> overweight and one could easily imagine might have something minor amiss.

And so glad to hear that the Cowboy Magic seemed to do the trick! I will remember that as a potentially VERY useful nugget.

12. Beanwood

Casper had a slight yeast infection in his ear, some months back, maybe longer. I was chatting to Anna who runs Widgets, and we got talking about infections and smells, and she mentioned it then. It was the only time Benson has tried to hump Casper. Dogs have such a very acute sense of smell, it only has to be a very subtle imbalance apparently.

bbrown likes this.
  13. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

@Beanwood I'm so glad you posted this. It is always nice to have at least a possible explanation for behaviour..... and I was truly puzzled by why Pongers would suddenly fixate on these two dogs. Of course it doesn't help avoid it or predict it, but at least I can pretend to understand it!

It's a shame because it meant that lovely Jean had to say he couldn't come to doggyholls any more (which I completely sympathise with, having to manage an out-of-control Pongo is more than anyone should be expected to do :eek:).

14. Beanwood

Actually @Rosie now you mention it..I do remember when Benson was there last, they suggested he was rather um over-interested in another dog.

15. Boogie

Of course, humping is usually benign and part of play, Gypsy and Tatze used to hump each other. But it didn't last long and they were easily distracted from it.

Zaba's behaviour was intense, sexual and very aroused even when in his crate! :eek:

16. Maddog67

Maddog67 Active Member

Don't worry it's nothing it's a male dominance thing completely normal it stops after a while just top dog proving his point bitches also do this kind of behaviour on occasions in pack related circumstances

17. Beanwood

I don't think humping has anything to do with dominance. More to do with over arousal/excitement, where a dog finds it hard to deal with with, and redirects with humping. My older lab does it, he doesn't have very good impulse control, thus gets aroused very quickly. Or purely sexual, doing what nature intended :)

18. bbrown

I don't think this is the case at all. I agree with Kate it's generally over arousal or sexual.

Either way as Mags has to bring up Guide Dog puppies it needs to be managed as best as possible not necessarily just left to sort itself out.

19. Maddog67

Maddog67 Active Member

It's pack behaviour whose top dog,who eats first,who gets the best pickings that's all it is all pack and herd animals do this it's nothing to do with being over aroused. I'm not going into detail but a dog has other ways if he feels the need simply dominance

20. bbrown

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. The role dominance plays in inter dog relationships is in fact much smaller than you suggest. Please read this article and it's references if you'd like to understand more:

http://thehappypuppysite.com/the-demise-of-dominance-theory-in-dog-training/