oh dear...

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by sepia, Feb 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sepia

sepia Registered Users

maybe i'm overreacting.
    we live in an apt and the landlord (who is very nice btw but...) made it clear that if the dog (who is an emotional support dog for my husband who has Parkinson's), disturbed the other tenants in any way, that the dog would have to go. Or we'd have to go, or something.
    well, breeder told us Dublin rarely barks, not sure she has even heard her bark in over a year (Dublin is 3.5yo.) I have found she has a very strong prey drive. she saw the neighbor's (in the apt next to us) cat and began growling and pulling hard. she wanted the cat. then we were walking and saw a squirrel and she nearly tore my arm off trying to get it. Then this morning, she saw a squirrel out the window, jumped off the couch, ran to the window and barked twice. then the squirrel was gone. I told her NO but not loud enough because i was barely awake yet lol. once the squirrel was gone, she kept her gaze strongly at the window. she sat at the window. then went back to the couch never taking her eyes of the window. until i closed the blinds lol. So, i guess i'm just venting my worries that this'll keep up. in the spring we have a lot of squirrels in the tree outside the window. yikes.

thanks for listening guys.
    Meg

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I would recommend working on her impulse control. Build up to being able to throw balls and toys around her without her moving. Standard gundog training which is very effective.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Did the breeder you got her from explain to you the commands and training she had done ? Are you using those ? She is significantly mature to have quite a history of behaviour. The issues you mention need to trained to cope with from when the dog is a pup, so it’s likely you will might have to get a trainer in to help you manage her behaviour now. Specifically around walking nicely on the lead and settling.

4. sepia

sepia Registered Users

thank you both. i really appreciate your input. i feel a bit better. no the breeder didn't go over all of that.well, no, actually she did (through text), but dublin wont/doesn't really do what she says. you know, i try to do the same thing, but nothing. said she walks good on lead (turns out she used a pinch collar - (no) ). she told me how to get her to potty as soon as we get outside, no that didn't work lol. Looks like a trainer will be needed. Not that we can afford one, but i'll try and read up on things to learn on my own.
    thanks!

5. J.D

J.D Registered Users

How long have you had her? It will take her a while to settle in and get used to your commands.
    Nowhere near the same but we bought a previously owned rabbit many years ago that was sat watching Coronation Street eating toast when we went to see her. Butter wouldn’t melt.
    She was the most vicious thing I have come across when we got her home. I think she basically didn’t like us or the changes we brought! We had her for a few years but you could never cuddle her!
    A lot of behaviourists do one session then a follow up. You wouldn’t have to pay for lot of sessions.
    Maybe try a wide slatted Venetian blind/ shutter that tilts upwards so you still get the light and see out but from down at her height she can’t.

sepia likes this.
  6. sepia

sepia Registered Users

Thanks JD, very much!
    Oh, to answer your question, we've had her for a week today...not long! You could be right about not knowing our commands yet :heart:

7. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Just looked at your avatar and see why a blind wouldn’t work. Hopefully just the excitement of having an eye level window!

sepia likes this.