Oh No!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Valkyrie, May 24, 2018.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Registered Users

My beautiful 2yr male Valkyrie has a sever health issue. I took him in this week for OFA's only to discover he has a severely enlarged heart. The vet heard a murmur so we decided to do an xray his heart is over 2x the size it should be. There were 6 pups in the litter and only Valkyrie has the heart issue his parents are fine as we own them the grandparents are fine too so I don't think it is genetic.

We are going to live life to the fullest. We are doing to dock jumping competitions this summer ( his favorite sport) and I will try to get his last placement for his UKC champion and we are doing rally too.

I will find out from the vet if it will be safe to neuter him I don't want him dying while under going a surgery.

I am very disappointed Valkyire is a such a great dog. Has drive, he uses his nose well, his temperament is perfect, I though he would make an awesome stud dog now all those dreams are dashed. And the worst part he probably wont have a long life. Like I said we are going to ride this life like there is no tomorrow.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Im so sorry, that's terrible news. Hugs to you both. Xxx

3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Awful news for you. I’m so sorry.

4. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

How awful!! Could the vet tell you the cause of his enlarged heart? Is he getting medication? Is he on restricted water intake?

5. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Oh that's such bad news for you, it always seems to happen to the best ones.

6. MF

MF Registered Users

That is heartbreaking. I’m so sorry. Fortunately he is probably none the wiser and will enjoy life to the fullest.

Valkyrie likes this.
  7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I am so sorry , sounds like this is just absolutely rotten luck . When my late boy was still with me and had had his cancer diagnosis , I was often reminded that dogs live in the moment , and mercifully they don't know that they have something wrong . Enjoy him , in my thoughts x

8. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Such heartbreaking news, I am so sorry for you both :(:( Enjoy your lovely Valkyrie and share every precious moment together. :hug: xx

10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

So sorry for this awful news. Living his life to the full is they way to go.

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

What rotten and upsetting news. Making the best of his life which you are doing is the best way, but very hard for you.

12. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

So sad, so sorry to hear this. It's good that you have decided to let him live life to the full.

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

This is tough..horrible news, does he have any symptoms? Although it sounds like he is blissfully unaware there is something wrong.

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

15. Maxx's Mum

Maxx's Mum Registered Users

I am so sorry to hear this sad news. :(

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh no, this is horrible news. Having recently received bad news about our Merlin, I can really sympathise. I'm so sorry, and I understand your feelings of disappointment, grief, disbelief, incomprehension and worry. With Merlin, a diagnosis of severe hip displasia has meant we are adjusting our whole training, exercise and health program, to try to find the right balance of moderate exercise and stimulation for him. I imagine this is what will be in your future too.

It's really shit when your plans and ambitions are unfairly and arbitrarily struck down. I'm so sorry for Valkyrie, and I'm sure you are going to give him the very best life possible.

selina27 likes this.
  17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

So sorry to hear this. I hope he really does continue to live life to the full.
    Karen says it all.
    Keep positive x

18. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Terrible news, so sorry :hug:

19. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So sorry to hear this. As others have said, I am sure he is blissfully ignorant and sounds like he will continue to live life to its fullest.

20. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I'm really sorry to hear about Valkyrie. I hope you manage to have many more happy years together.