On/off vomitting

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Colm, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Colm

Colm Registered Users

I have a 14 month old female lab who recently started vomiting. The first instance was while out for a long walk. After a bit of a run around with another dog, she brought up her full dinner (from 3 hours earlier). The day after lunch (snack) she was sick again. This went on for a couple of days and I withheld her food for 24 hours before introducing it again gradually. But after an evening meal I gave her a dental chew and she was sick a few hours later (only the chew came up). She has been xrayed by the vet and nothing has shown up.

On Wednesday I reduced her dry food (Royal Canin) by about 25% and split it over 3 feeds instead of 2. She had no issues. I did the same yesterday and she was fine. But... I was at a friends house last night and he give her 3 small dry treats (10pm). This morning when I came down stairs she had been sick again in her crate. It seemed to be minimal and only the treats and a bit of bile.

Her normal routine is breakfast (7:30-8am), a dental stick or rawhide chew for lunch and then dinner at 5pm. She is not over/under weight, is fit, healthy and full of life and gets exercised twice a day. Her stools are fine and she is drinking water as normal.

This has been going on (off and on) for about 10 days now. I will be at the vets tomorrow for her 12month booster and will chat again with him, but does anyone know what this could be, or have experienced similar before?

Thanks
    Colm

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would cut out the dental sticks and the raw hides. Both of those make a couple of my dogs very sick. I try to use more natural treats without any nasty additives.

Colm likes this.
  3. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I agree with heidrun, perhaps give a small meal of the usual kibble instead of the treats.

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes another vote for giving up the rawhide. My current dog, Molly, is fine with them, but my last Lab was sick if he ever had one -some dogs just can't seem to tolerate them.

5. Bearhaug

Bearhaug Registered Users

Giving up food for 24 hours was correct but I was always instructed to start up BRAT diet ( chicken and rice) after the fast so the GI has time to relax. I had to feed chk and rice,small meals frequently for two days then very slowly reintroduced the kibble with it for another 4-5 days. I would call the vet also, my lab occasionally needs a shot to stop the vomiting and it worked But,they told me if vomiting continued within 24 hrs of the shot and obstruction was likely. Goid luck, hope the vomiting stops

6. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

Brat diet is actually Bananas Rice Apple and Toast. Not the same as BLAND diet which is chicken and rice.

7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I agree, with cutting out the rawhide and dental sticks for the time being. Chicken and rice seems to be the norm for getting stomach troubles straightened out.

Both of our Labs seem to have Cast Iron Guts, and can eat most any thing without a problem. We laugh about introducing new food gradually, since they gobble up our friend's dogs food the moment they get in the yard. Some dogs (or owners) are not so lucky and really have to watch the dogs diet.

8. Colm

Colm Registered Users

Thanks everyone. The vet has kept her on an antacid type tablet for the next couple of weeks. I have reduced her meal size for now and kept her off all other foods and she has been great the past 3 or 4 day. Will stick with the plain (natural) treats from now on.

Thanks for all your advice.

xxryu139xx likes this.