Operation booked but having real doubts!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by JackieChaplin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. JackieChaplin

JackieChaplin Registered Users

I have a beautiful 15 month old girl and I have her booked in to be spayed next Thursday 23rd November 2017.
    I have considered cancelling the appointment several times because I kept thinking that I'd like to have a litter of puppies from her. Having now read all of Pippa's articles I can find, I have made the decision not to breed from her.
    No puppies BUT I am now questioning whether it is better for Sapphie to be spayed or not from a health perspective. I can cope with her seasons (she's had her first) and where we live and walk I can manage access to male dogs so it really does come down to the health risk/benefit balance.
    I'd appreciate any advice from more experienced and knowledgeable dog owners. Sapphie is my first dog.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there Jackie, I can just give you my personal experience. I didn't have Poppy spayed until she was five years old - and only then because she had a couple of epileptic seizures, which seemed to be linked to her seasons. I never intended to have her spayed, even after I had made the decision not to breed from her.

Like you, we found we could deal with her seasons pretty easily, and we were able to walk her at times when not many other dog walkers were around. Once she had had a couple of seasons it became even easier, because I understood her cycle and could pinpoint when she was in her fertile phase. She never suffered from phantom pregnancies, and did not seem to suffer unduly during, before or after her seasons. However, after she was spayed I felt she was more cheerful than before, and I now think she did suffer a little from hormonal changes. It is undeniably easier for us now, in that we don't have to plan our holidays and so on around her seasons...

There are two negatives: one is that we have to be even more vigilant than before regarding her weight, and the second is that her coat has changed slightly; it has become rather coarser in texture and a bit drier. I give her oil in her food to help counter this.

I found having Poppy spayed quite difficult from an emotional perspective, and cried over it. The operation went well, and we could take her home that same day. It took her about a week to fully get over it.

Really, I think it depends on you and your dog. Good luck with your decision!

JackieChaplin likes this.
  3. JackieChaplin

Thank you Karen, your experiences with Poppy are helpful to me. I am at home with Sapphie and funnily enough even observing her during her first season she seemed somewhat subdued in her mood. I have a few more days to make my decision but I am veering towards not having her done from a non-interventionist perspective. The pros to having her spayed are not stacking up for me once you take out the convenience aspect.

4. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

There is the risk of pyometra if you don't get her done. You may wish to read up on this before making a decision.
    Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

This is true; but there are also risks involved with the operation. If it were me, I would wait another season or two before making a definitive decision. You can always decide to have her spayed later, but once done you cannot undo it!!

Another thing - we chose to have the laparoscopic spay, and just have the ovaries removed, leaving the uterus in place, which is a less intrusive operation (although more expensive!!)

JackieChaplin, FayRose and selina27 like this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @JackieChaplin , I get where you are coming from with this, there's a part of me that is reluctant to have my Cassie, who is nearly 19 months, spayed. Like you, I can manage her seasons ok, she's no trouble at that time, she's had 2 now, and like Karen am pretty sure I can recognise her fertile period. But for me the big worry is phantom pregnancy, she had a really bad one after her first season during which she was a changed dog and it was distressing and upsetting time for both of us. Right now I'm on tenterhooks in case she has another one which would start anytime now. So I will be having her spayed in February, when her hormones are as stable as possible, according to my vet.

7. JackieChaplin

Yes indeed, the risk of pyometra is frightening and would be one of the reasons I would decide to have her spayed. Thank you.

8. JackieChaplin

Thanks Karen. Our vet doesn't do the laparoscopic procedure and that is certainly less invasive. I'll see if there is a vet locally who does but its good advise to wait a season or two.

9. JackieChaplin

There certainly seems to be an element of the decision being quite individual doesn't there. Your decision has been influenced by Cassie's phantom pregnancy and Karen's Poppy's seizures seemed to be linked to her seasons. I think I might wait. Thank you.

Karen and selina27 like this.