Opinions on Labrador hip X-ray

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Czouri, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Czouri

Czouri Registered Users

[​IMG] Hey guys, so I took my lab to get his X-ray done for his OFA test, the vet said his elbows looked great and his patellas seemed good but she dosnt think his hips would pass. Any of y'all think that these would get at least a "fair" rating? Also I know some people that have had bad positioning cause what looked like bad hips, but when they got an X-ray from a different vet they came back good. y'all think that could be a facture here? Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Czouri

Czouri Registered Users

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Sorry can't see the photos. Photos need to be uploaded from a hosting site. Details can be found under the 'Technical' tab.
    As far as I'm aware no-one on the forum is qualified to rate hip x-rays, and would be unlikely to become involved in an assessment on a public forum. I would be rather surprised if different results were obtained from different x-rays unless the vets were pretty poor at positioning a comatose dog for the x-rays. I'm guessing that you were hoping to breed from your dog, so I suspect you will just have to accept that your dog has poor hips - a 'fair' rating certainly would be less than optimal for breeding purposes when there are plenty of dogs available with hips with the highest ratings.

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

It is really hard to give opinions on hips unless you're an expert - and the good news is that your vet isn't, either.

I've heard many times from people whose own vets have said that scores are bad - and they've come back good. Regular vets are not trained or qualified in assessing hip scores. So there's a pretty good chance you will still get a good score.

Finally, it's important for whoever bred your dog to know and get the result, even if it's bad - it's useful information for a breeder. So that's not a reason to skip either.