Orijen feeding guide

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by 20180815, Oct 1, 2016.

1. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I'm a bit confused. It jumps by 10kg intervals...ours is currently 10kg, what am I supposed to do at 14kg, for example? Do the math and figure out per kibble/kg, or stick to the 10kg? Maybe this is a silly question but it seems odd to me. I don't want to accidentally overfeed as I did that yesterday and he was throwing up his meals undigested (or partially), likewise I don't want to underfeed him. Also, are Labs in the Golden Retriever category?

[​IMG]

2. Trufflepup

Trufflepup Registered Users

I would put Labs at the Golden Retriever weight, yes.
    To work out exactly what to feed, I always calculate how much kibble/Kg in between the weight divisions, to arrive at the amount required.
    Possibly they leave it as a fairly general guide so you can tailor it to your specific dog, but I wonder whether sone people would then leave their dog on the 10 Kg ration until it is actually 20 kg, which seems daft. Surely a 10 Kg dog and a 19 Kg dog are going to need different amounts?

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Yes, this is the way to do it, but it is only a guide. In reality you will probably feed less. Go by how your pup looks and feels, and feed less (or more) accordingly.

Stacia likes this.
  4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

As @edzbird says. It is very important to feed a puppy and indeed a dog on how they look, not keep to the packet instructions. Start out with an amount you think is right, then feed more or indeed less depending on your pup/dogs condition, if too fat, cut it back, if thin, increase. Don't forget a pup is growing and increase the amount, again to how the pup looks.

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

These guides always seem wonky to me anyway. I rarely fed kibble (it's kind of emergency only food for me) but the recommended amounts on the packaging always seemed massive. And it's so dependant on the dog and their metabolism. For example, my first dog ate about half per day what Brogan did, despite being twice as heavy (65kg vs 32kg). For the first it was a struggle to keep him trim and for Brogan it was a struggle to keep weight on him (oh how I would love to have such a problem).

Could the throwing up be from eating too fast and not too much? I'm not suggesting it is, just really wondering. I kind of always thought that puppies don't really overeat, but also I've not had a Lab yet - maybe they are more enthusiastic about their food than most other breeds!

6. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I shall have to figure it out, seems kind of tedious considering most other brands give far more detail. But as mentioned, it is only a guide after all.

@Emily_BabbelHund This is my first Lab but yes I'd say he's enthusiastic about everything, including food :p I upped his food because he had a growth spurt and was looking rather skinny, but perhaps too much. He ate it all, then retched it all :( I didn't feed him a huge amount extra, but I don't know what else it could be considering he's his normal self otherwise. As far as too fast, we have a slow feeding bowl which slows him down quite well, but it could also be from training as he seems to gulp the kibble piece down rather than stop to chew :eek: Or maybe he just ate something funny that I don't know about and it isn't any of the reasons I think it is!

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Betsy is on Orijen large puppy, I certainly never bother to calculate the amounts between the guides on the packet. She has been on 100g a day since she came home, I use a couple of handfuls more for training treats, probably another 100g, and I've never increased her meals from 100g per day. She does more training now, so probably gets more food than she did, but since she looks slim and is growing fine, that's that.

At a guess, I'd say she'll be about 15kgs now, so by the packet should be on about 300g per day. Yep, that sounds about right - that I'm feeding about 60 - 70% of what it says on the packet. That's the same for Charlie too.