Other people's fat dogs!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by DebzC, Jun 28, 2017.

1. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Do you ever say anything? I was on a walk this evening when an old slow, fat lab plodded towards us as Libby bounced by. I chatted with the owner who said how energetic Libby is and asked how old, I said "just over 1, and yours?" "2 and a half" what??? Two??? I had thought 10. I'm so saddened by it.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

If I'm tired or having a bad day my filtered is a bit rubbish I may have.:rolleyes: I may when a gushing woman with a fat fat brown lab squeaked look Bunny your twin, perhaps said well not quite. I think she may have got it. I need to keep my internal dialogue internal but so hard to be good some days:D

drjs@5, Jes72, Karen and 4 others like this.
  3. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I'm very non-confrontational and rarely say anything...but when for the 3rd time in a week someone with a fat lab commented on Quinn's small size I said "this is what a fit lab looks like...they need lots of exercise to stay healthy". I felt bad afterwards.

Snowy, edzbird, Karen and 4 others like this.
  4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Depends on the demeanour of the owner really ! I did pluck my courage up a couple of weeks ago and gently suggest that the owner stop continually feeding treats as her dog would suffer . She was fine , even thanked me for bothering to point out the dangers for obese dogs , then I saw her doing exactly the same a few days later :facepalm:

SwampDonkey, Sven, Naya and 1 other person like this.
  5. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Ha ha, good for you. I just said to the dog "have you been eating too much?" You just know these dogs will be riddled with arthritis by the time they're 6 :(

6. zrinka

zrinka Registered Users

We were at the vets yesterday were we met a chocolate boy. First I tought it was an older female, because of the loose skin. It turned out he was just 4 years old, suffering from high colestlerol, and at the moment, a toe fracture. In my opnion he should lose at least 6 kg. We even commented on dog food, and talked about raw diet. His family love him much, but unable to see they are doing him harm.

7. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

I think this is exactly it!

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

It's is really difficult not to say anything when they are obese. It's sad really. Harley either looks a bit chubby or skinny........we find it hard to keep it consistent, but I adjust her meals & treats the minute she puts on the weight

9. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

There's a man here who walks his two dogs (Malinois and Lab) and his Lab is like this. It is so sad. I'm torn between being polite and wanting to slap him silly while yelling, "What have you done???!!!!" Oddly enough, his Malinois is perfectly fit.

I've never understood the concept of a fat dog. I mean, I control the food. If someone controlled MY food, I wouldn't be fat either. Or as I used to say to Brogan, one of us has to be the slim and sexy one, and clearly that's not going to be me...so "tag, you're it". :D

10. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I think it's a tough one. It's not nice to see at all - and any advice is obviously coming from a good place.

But if someone made a remark about Stanley I don't think I'd be too happy about it - especially if it was someone I didn't know. So I don't think I would say anything unless they brought it up or asked for my advice :)

DebzC likes this.
  11. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Ugh this is a tough one. At the vet recently a lady had her chocolate lab who was very obese, he stepped on the scale and was 36kg. Then right after Axel went on and it read 41.5kg and the lady was shocked that Axel weighed so much more than hers because Axel is so skinny. She kept saying to her dog 'oh look a skinnier you, that's what you should look like' all the while I'm standing there thinking, well he could look nice and trim, you do have the control.. o_O

Just makes me so sad, he was waddling around and looked very old but he wasn't :(

DebzC likes this.
  12. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Exactly, it's totally down to the owners and it's just not fair on the dogs. I'm not talking about a bit podgy, I mean obesely fat that makes it difficult to walk. It's animal cruelty.

:cwl:

Kelsey&Axel and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  13. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Sometimes I don't want to give advice, I just want to be downright rude! :rolleyes:

14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I did ask a fat lab who ate all the pies then? Really loudly is that the sort of thing you mean?:rolleyes:

15. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehe, that's the sort of thing I do. I talk to the dog "Oooh, you're a chunky monkey, aren't you? Did you get one too many biscuits, young man? What a gorgeous chubster!". It's non-confrontational and affectionate, and maybe it will trigger something in the owner's mind. On occasion, it has started a dialogue with the owner, who says something like "I don't understand it, I feed the amount it says on the label", and you can get into a helpful conversation without putting their backs up from the start.

DebzC, Karen, selina27 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I gently persuaded my friend that her Lab was getting very chunky. Her husband was affronted and said 'did you call my dog fat yesterday?' I explained about the tuck-up and visible waist from above and he admitted to feeding him biscuits!

The dog is nice and slim again now :D

drjs@5, DebzC and SwampDonkey like this.
  17. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

In the village where we live, there are 3 labs. Our Molly a choc, a slightly older yellow bitch and a black bitch. Both Molly and the yellow are of a 'proper' size, in other words, slim and fit and healthy looking.

Unfortunately the black is well overweight.
    The owners love her to bits and as far as I can see, it's the husband who overfeeds. We all know what food orientated labs can do with their eyes when there is food around. Sadly some people can't resist it and even when they should know better they fall for it. This dog has had back and hind leg problems and she's only just 2. Awful shame.

DebzC likes this.
  18. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I think you have to be really careful.

Casper just has to look at kibble to put on weight. Seriously he is on such a little amount per day. His treats are carefully regulated, but he does get the odd crumb of my pain au chocolat in the mornings. He is very fit and healthy, and I would love to get him down by another Kg. As is getting older it is getting much harder I find to keep his weight down ( 8 years old) , his exercise tolerance is now being impacted due to his poor lung capacity.

If someone commented he was a bit chubby, I would thump them.

momofone, drjs@5, Kelsey&Axel and 4 others like this.
  19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

True of us all! I used to be able to eat anything! Now I have to run 10km even if I look at a piece of cake. I mean, seriously?!

20. Emily

Emily Registered Users

*cough* passive aggressive *cough* ;):D

I am exactly the same though! " oh aren't you gorgeous, don't you just love your food, bet you manage to guilt your mum and dad into extra treats etc."

drjs@5, Beanwood, DebzC and 1 other person like this.