Out and about before vaccinations

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Stew, Apr 6, 2018.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oops, sorry! Didn't have time to check the link, cooking tea :D

snowbunny likes this.
  2. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

I have also been told that the parvovirus can survive on your shoes - you walk in it, bring it into your house, walk on your floors and then your puppy can catch it from your floors.

3. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

Unfortunately I prefer not to post location and other personal information in the public online world - sorry. But no I do not live in the UK.

He is the second local vet to tell me the same thing. One from a young modern practice and one from a much older vet.

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I have had two puppies who both got parvo, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Just so you don’t think I am a completely irresponsible owner...the first was my first dog, this was around 30 years ago now (!). He got it very soon after going to the vet’s for his first check up, I thought he might have got it from the vet’s office, actually, but it’s impossible to say. Second pup came around about 8 years later, we had moved houses but are still in the same neighbourhood. He got it after his first vaccination, so it wasn’t as severe as my first pup (he almost died) but he was still very sick.

Bottom line is I would never take the chance with this disease. That being said, I was careful with my second dog and he got it anyway. It’s a nasty disease that you don’t want to mess with. If it’s not in your area you are very blessed but as it is highly contagious and deadly. Please take your vet’s advice about how to manage the risk in the area in which you live. Just not worth the danger to mess around with it.

snowbunny and selina27 like this.
  5. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

Well, we are going with the vet's advice, but that advice was that we were wrong to have kept him inside at all - that after the 1st vax at 8wks he should have been out for walks!
    Puppy groups here in parks and open public spaces all begin at 8wks as well, once 1st jab has been given. He did the 12wk jab and said to get him out this week asap.

So we are going with that!