Over exuberance help?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by SurfinScout, May 6, 2017.

1. SurfinScout

SurfinScout Registered Users

Hi all! New to the forum here, and actually a fairly new Lab owner. Looking for some helpful advice, suggestions, etc. Here's the back story:

We recently added an 8 year old Black lab to the family. Husband and I have had tons of dogs (he had Goldens, I always had Scotties). This pup belonged to our very good friend and my husband's hunting buddy who passed away. His dying wish was for us to take his dog and give him a good home.

Scoots is an incredibly well trained duck dog. He's got that training down pat. Where he's lacking though is in what I call his "civilian training".

First thing he had to learn was manners on the walk. He's gotten MUCH better about it and finally is able to do a loose leash walk, but the problem is he is still very dominant/aggressive with meeting new dogs along our walk, which is a pain in the tuckus when I'm pushing a stroller and have my Scottie in the other hand. He's not neutered either (appointment for that is in 3 weeks). When we first got him, he tried to push my Scottie around/hump him, which resulted in the Lab getting himself pinned down in the bathroom by a terrier half his size. Haven't had a problem since.

Second problem, typical Lab, he's incredibly exuberant, which has resulted in him bowling down our toddler pretty regularly. I know accidents happen but good heavens this is like every single day, multiple times. Our toddler generally doesn't mind anymore but there will be another baby in the house soon and I'm not quite sure how to curb this behavior before that happens.

In y'alls opinions and experience, do you think neutering an 8 year old lab will help with the humping/dog aggression? How much of this is just a training thing that I need to work on? He's a really good boy 97% of the time and does take very well to corrections. He walks 2 miles every morning with me, the other dog, and our kid, and then plays out in the yard with us for the rest of the day. My husband will take him out and practice restrieving with him on the weekends too, so I * think * he's getting enough exercise? I can't help but wonder if a lot of his "issues" are pent up frustration from not being able to mate for the past 8 years Poor guy! Any helpful suggestions or advice are appreciated. Thanks y'all!!

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello, and welcome!

I think you might be disappointed in the effects of neutering. It might help some things, but only those that are directly related to sexual behaviour. So it might - but no guarantees - help with humping and dog to dog aggression. Although I wouldn't be holding my breath to be honest.

In the UK, and even more so in other parts of Europe, we don't routinely neuter males dogs. Only about 50% of dogs in the UK are neutered, and in some other European countries it's illegal to neuter a dog. On the whole, Europe has pretty well behaved dogs. :D Although they all have their moments, of course.

My own dog is entire, and doesn't hump, doesn't show aggression to other dogs, and I have no problems with him at all that could remotely be associated with him being entire.

I'd say it's massively about the training, not neutering.

3. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Julie, do you know why this is?

4. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

It's because it's considered an medically unnecessary procedure, and is against animal welfare codes. I think it's illegal in Norway for example.

I live in Germany, and have heard that here if vets follow the animal welfare rules to the letter, they also shouldn't neuter without medical necessity or an existing behavioural problem. The procedure with a male dog would be if the dog has a behavioural problem which might be influenced by neutering, try a suprelorin implant to see if the behaviour problem is reduced by lowering testosterone levels, and see what other effects neutering might have on behaviour. If the implant does have the desired effect, you can go ahead and neuter.

There isn't a problem with stray dogs here, as I think this is the motivation in some places, such as the US, for having (early) neutering schemes.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Here in the UK stray and rescue dogs are neutered before rehoming to cut down on more puppies, also some unscrupulous adopters using rescues to produce puppies for sale then discarding the rescues :( Our rescue Charlie was neutered around 6-8 months old before he came to us at 9 months. x

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think that's largely because of the cultural difference in the USA, where so many dogs seem to spend more time unaccompanied in gardens (yards) than they ever would in other countries. To my sensibilities, it appears that a responsible owner is more than able to have an entire dog and avoid the risk of puppies by what I would consider normal management; never leaving the dog outside unattended.

I don't agree with the blanket neutering of rescue dogs and think it should be assessed on a case-by-case basis, as some rescues are starting to do (BRX, for example).

I do acknowledge I have complete double standards, though, because, if I owned cats (as I have in the past), I would absolutely have them spayed/neutered as they would be free to roam without me - "inside cats" seems like such an alien concept to me.

Funny thing, how we develop our sense of what's right.

7. SurfinScout

SurfinScout Registered Users

Hi All! Just wanted to give you an update on our Scooter neuter. He is doing fantastic and i'd say overall it just seemed to take the edge off. He's no longer panting all day long (seriously, it was ALL. DAY. LONG.), and no longer restless at night aside from when he's dreaming about chasing a squirrel. His door dashing has diminished significantly and he hasn't bowled down our child just trying to be the first one in or out. When we are going for walks now, he still gets excited getting his leash on but will sit and wait instead of getting hysterical and whining. Dog aggression is gone. He's no longer obsessively licking himself either. But he's still our big loveable goofball dingus head, just a lot easier to live with, so I'm happy with the decision. Plus now he's getting tons of praise for being a good boy instead of thinking his name is "DammitScout!"

As far as over in Europe with not neutering, do they not geld horses over there as well? Here in the states, children aren't even allowed to handle a stallion at a horse show much less ride one from a safety standpoint. I'm curious what it's like over there?

edzbird and Plum's mum like this.