Overexcited pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Fozzy's Mom, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Fozzy's Mom

Fozzy's Mom Registered Users

Hi all,
    Having a problem with my 7 month old lab pup.
    From day one he has been overly excitable, but now that he's really big (70lbs), it's really becoming an issue.
    I can't play with him at all or he loses his mind.
    If i go outside with him he runs zoomies around me, knocking me off my feet, or nipping at the back of my legs.
    He runs all over chomping mouthfuls of sod, snow, poop, or whatever he can get his mouth on.
    I do not play "inappropriately" with him.
    Sometimes i'm just trying to pick up his poop before he can eat it. (Yes he does that a lot) indoors it's the same deal, mania!
    If my bf or i toss a toy for him to fetch, he tackles us nearly every time he brings it back. When we get fed up with being trampled/chomped, he goes and chews on his kennel. Any tips for getting him to settle down outside?

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Fozzy's Mom

I think ee need more information.

Do you do any exercises in which he is rewarded for being calm?

Have you taught him how to return when he comes back with the ball?

What do you do to stop the biting?

Have you attended a positive reinforcement dog obedience club?

What the dog do during the day when you are away?

Edp likes this.
  3. Fozzy's Mom

Fozzy's Mom Registered Users

I have special treats to reward good behaviour. I am at home with him during the day and have several periods of one on one time (fetch, training etc)
    I don't have any ideas to stop the biting/nipping. Currently i just take him to his kennel to settle down.
    I just took him outside on leash and he started pulling and jumping so much it hurt my hands so he was put on his lead until i was done cleaning up his waste. The entire time he was racing around and lunging. There is never even a tiny break from this behaviour where i could offer a reward.
    I have not tried any formal obedience training, that's not an option.