Parvo virus

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Jacqueline Mckendrick, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Jacqueline Mckendrick

Jacqueline Mckendrick Penny and me

Could my 14 week puppy have parvo. She has pale watery loose stools scooting out and has been sick once ..she seems ok otherwise ..no blood in stools ..i havent gave her anything to eat today

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I would speak to your vet asap if you suspect parvo. Hopefully it will just be a tummy upset.

3. Jacqueline Mckendrick

Yes i am going to do that ..its just came out of nowhere thats whats surprised me ..thanks

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi and welcome, hoping your puppy is ok. Young puppies do have quite volatile tummies, but if the diarrhea and sickness lasts more than a day or is extreme, or if she won't drink or if she seems listless, then take her to the vet immediately. Let us know how you get on!

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

So sorry to hear this and hoping its not as you fear and just a dodgy tum , poor love x

6. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Hi. I hope this is puppy tummy. If you notice anything more please rush her to the vet. A work colleague lost a lab to parvo about 2 months ago. It is such a horrific illness.

7. Jacqueline Mckendrick

Tragic..Trying to starve her today ..not easy lol she wants to eat

8. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

9. Jacqueline Mckendrick

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Jacqueline and welcome to the forum. I agree that puppies often have very sensitive stomachs, but if you do think there may be anything serious, get her in for a check-up. Better safe than sorry. I wouldn't personally starve a puppy that young, and would feed little and often, something bland like boiled chicken or white fish and rice. If you notice any lethargy, get her to a vet ASAP.
    Please let us know how you get on.

Karen likes this.
  11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If it is Parvo, you need to see the vet immediately.

12. Jacqueline Mckendrick

I am sure its not parvo i have given her a couple of light meals she isnt unwell but still runny poohs ...not sure how she will be tonight she has gone to bed as usual in the kitchen ..this morning there was a lot of diarrhea and cleaning up wasnt great but i was more worried about how it came on her out of the blue ..not sure if tomorrow i will find the same but if i do its a trip to the vets for sure ..i will keep you's posted..i would put some photos of her on but keeps telling me server wont let me

13. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Definitely a trip to the vet as quickly as possible. There are other serious things it could be in addition to parvo, like giardia. Small puppies get dehydrated fast and can go downhill quickly from it - so better safe (with a trip to the vet) than sorry. Hope she's doing better this morning and you get good news at the vet!

14. Jacqueline Mckendrick

Hi everyone
    Definately not parvo...no more runny stools overnight (thank goodness no mess to clean) and she is bouncing all over the place ..probably hungry due to bland diet yesterday ..stools not completely formed yet but definately better ...the thing is i cant tell if she has eaten something she shouldn't have or not ..lets face it labs are the equivelant to industrial cleaners lol she currently eats Wainrights dry complete puppy food and occasionally mixed with same make wet food and she loves it ..she is a very greedy wee pup but i never feed her stuff she shouldnt eat apart from the odd dog treat ...hopefully back to normal soon xx

Granca, kateincornwall and Karen like this.
  15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Glad to hear she is so much better!

16. Jacqueline Mckendrick

Thanks..I dont think i had as much worry with my children lol ..i forgot how difficult the puppy stage is

Granca and Atemas like this.
  17. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Also glad to hear she's better! :)

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome from Hattie 10 years and rescue boy Charlie 6 years. So worrying for you but very happy she's on the mend :)x

19. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

Glad to hear she's feeling better. Ariel had a really bad case of giardia when she was a young pup. Even our vet was surprised that it would not clear up as quickly as she expected to on the meds. It took us many months and many rounds of different medications to get it cleared up. If it flares up again, I would suggest an immediate trip to the vet. As was said above, pups can get dehydrated very quickly. Happy she's doing better.

Jacqueline Mckendrick likes this.
  20. Jacqueline Mckendrick

I have a vets appointment at 3 ..thought she was ok but now being sick ..arrgghhhh she is still very lively but i want her checked ..