Paw cream

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Priya71, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Priya71

Priya71 Registered Users

Hi all,

Its going to get really cold here next week...down to almost zero (and not counting the wind chill). So far, my Enya has been enjoying her short romps in the snow...she is 7 months old.

I am finding her paws and nose to be dry and slightly cracked. No bleeding. Should I be putting some sort of a cream to protect her paws? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Priya

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yup, I use Musher's Secret. Since coming back to Andorra and being in the snow, my two girls got slightly cracked pads with very slight bleeding (it shows up on the snow otherwise I wouldn't notice it). Musher's Secret clears it right up. I apply it every day until the pads are supple again and then once a week.

Priya71 and Lt.Kippo like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'm going to order some. We don't need it here most of the time, but then suddenly we do and I am left using vaseline or my expensive hand cream!

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You only need a tiny bit. I've hardly made a dent in my pot that I bought when I first got Willow & Shadow! :D
    They do all like to have a little lick of it once I've applied it, but I massage it in well, so it's all absorbed and the licking doesn't seem to affect it.

Priya71 likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My daughter, who lives in Brooklyn, New York, swears by Mushers. She says the streets are often very gritty and salty, as well as cold, and this wax really helps protect her dog's paws. She was the one who suggested I get some, as Poppy especially gets rather cracked pads. This doesn't normally matter, but when it gets cold and the streets are gritted and people grit and salt the pavements, then sometimes she gets very sore feet.

@Priya71, I'd certainly give the Mushers a try! But I am also guessing that your pup's cracked nose is due to the dry air, rather than just the cold. You could try using a humidifier in the house during the very cold, dry season.

Priya71 likes this.
  7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I recommend Mushers paw wax too. Harley occasionally gets cracked paws and this really helps keep them soft. I brought mine 3.5 years ago and still have 3/4 left.

Lt.Kippo likes this.
  8. Priya71

Priya71 Registered Users

Thank you for your suggestions! Musher's it is then...amazon, here I come:)