Penny the puppy

Discussion in 'The Rainbow Bridge' started by Jen1, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

My beautiful 14 week Penny passed away suddenly last week. We are absolutely heartbroken, she was only with us for 6 weeks but our lives had changed around her and now the gap left is unbearable.

She was such a lovely little dog, our first as a family and had made us extremely happy. It seems incredible that she's suddenly gone. The vets don't really understand what happened - she woke up with shallow breathing on Thursday morning and died almost as soon as we got to the vets. They said that her lungs had filled with fluid and a fit and cardiac arrest followed. The vets have said that the symptoms are consistent with a massive trauma - near drowning, electrocution, weedkiller poisoning etc. But none of those had happened. She went from healthy to gone in less than 12 hours.

The breeder I bought her from says he's heard of puppies having this kind of reaction to the Lepto 4 vaccination which she had been given over a week before (has anyone heard of this?) so now I'm worrying that I've killed her through the wrong decision on vaccinations.

Ultimately we're never going to understand what has happened, we're just left with a huge puppy-shaped hole in our lives and tears in our eyes.

RIP Penny, you will never be forgotten xx

2. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

I just wanted to say I am so so sorry for your loss my heart broke reading your post. I dont have any idea on the vaccinations or causes but I just wanted to say Im so very sorry. I hope the memories Penny brought you heal the hurt in time.

3. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

Thanks Jyssica.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Jen.
    So so sad to hear this.
    I have no idea either about the vaccination link, but it sounds more to me like there may have been some underlying health issue.
    It really must be heartbreaking for you and your family.
    Feel free to post up some photos and stories if it helps you.
    I hope that by sharing it can help you process all this.
    Jac x

Jen1 likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So very sorry.

Jen1 likes this.
  6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Mm

Jen1 likes this.
  7. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

Thank you x

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh dear Jen , I am so very sorry to read your sad post, my heart goes out to you , what an awful thing to happen , so terribly sad x

Jen1 likes this.
  9. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

That's a devastating thing for you to endure, I'm so sorry to read about it.
    I don't have any knowledge about vaccination reactions, but try not to beat yourself up because you had her vaccinated in the belief it was the right thing to do.
    Will you ever have a more conclusive answer?

10. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

Unfortunately not. The vets took an x-ray which didn't show anything and said they could send her away for a post-mortem however that it wouldn't necessarily reveal anything. We decided not to as it wouldn't change anything but I've gone over that decision in my mind a lot since :(
    Thank you for the kind words.

11. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

That's such sad, sad news. Getting your pup vaccinated is the safe, sensible thing to do, so please try not to bear any guilt over that as there must have been some underlying reason why this happened.
    I know she was only with you a short time but I can understand how you would have fallen in love with her so quickly and now feel absolutely bereft.
    My thoughts are with you tonight and I'm going to go and give my dog a big hug now x

Jen1 likes this.
  12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Jen, I'm so very sorry you have lost your young puppy Penny. It is so easy to become attached and so difficult to bear the loss. Thinking of you and your family at this sad time xx

Jen1 likes this.
  13. Granca

Granca Registered Users

So sorry to hear you've lost Penny, Jen. It's very difficult to understand why it happened, but don't blame yourself. It was absolutely right to have her vaccinated. Thinking of you.

Jen1 likes this.
  14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

So sorry. It's such a sad time for you, but you have nothing to blame yourself for.

Jen1 likes this.
  15. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

So sorry. What an awful shock.

Thoughts and love to you & your family xx

Jen1 likes this.
  16. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

Thank you all for your kind words and support xxx

17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

How terribly sad for you. Big hugs xx

I don't think the vaccination had anything to do with what happened, I am sure the vet would have shared this possibility with you, and it doesn't sound like they did.

It is only natural to undergo some degree of soul searching...it was not your fault, these things just happen.:hug:

Jen1 likes this.
  18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So sorry to hear about your poor girl. It sounds like you done everything you should of as a responsible owner. RIP Penny x

Jen1 likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh my goodness I am so sorry...

Jen1 likes this.
  20. Sven

Sven Registered Users

So sorry to hear about your little girl.

Jen1 likes this.