Penny the puppy

Discussion in 'The Rainbow Bridge' started by Jen1, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

How very devastating....so sorry to hear this. What a shock, and just so sad. Please don't blame yourself, you did everything right. There might have been some underlying health issue or maybe she had a weird reaction to the vaccine but given that she had been administered it over a week before she died I wouldn't think that would be the case, but I'm no expert, just guessing.

Jen1 likes this.
  2. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Oh Jen, I am so sorry for you and your family's loss of dear Penny. This is heartbreaking.

Jen1 likes this.
  3. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss, what a dreadful shock it must have been. Sending you big hugs.

Jen1 likes this.
  4. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

So sorry for you loss :(

Jen1 likes this.
  5. FURgirl

FURgirl Registered Users

So sorry for your loss, she's running, barking and around having a ball up there!

Jen1 likes this.
  6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How terribly sad. I'm so sorry.

Jen1 likes this.
  7. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

I'm very sorry to read of your loss of Penny. You'll never replace her, but I hope that one day in the not too distant future you consider bringing another dog into your lives. I'm on my 3rd Lab now - and none was able to replace the previous - they each had their own little ways and idiosyncrasies - but I could go from a person without a companion dog to a person with a companion dog in each case.

Jen1 likes this.
  8. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Penny, I know how devastating losing a puppy can be. We got up to find our Nevis had died in his sleep. I felt my heart had been ripped out. The vet checked him over and found nothing obvious, he just looked like he was sleeping. He offered to do a post-mortem (the breeder who was also devastated offered to pay) but like you we decided not to have one done. It was never going to bring him back to us.
    Someone on this forum said to me that a dog doesn't have any concept of time, it just knows it is loved :heart:
    We now have Baxter but will never for our Nevis, think they'd have made great friends.

Do stay in touch, this forum was a godsend to me x

Jen1 likes this.
  9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh, heart-breaking. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Your little pup obviously had a whole lifetime of love in her short time - you have done nothing wrong and she has gone over the rainbow bridge with a wagging tail and no bad memories. Of course you won't forget her. Run free pretty Penny.

Jen1 likes this.
  10. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

Thank you, yes. It is such a huge gap that half of me wants to find another dog asap but it does feel a little like trying to replace her. She made us so happy as a family though that we all want to feel that way again. Plus I kind of think it would give us something positive to concentrate on. We're taking it one day at a time right now but can't see us being dogless for too long xx

11. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

Thank you. This forum is a big help for me. The support from the lab lovers is much appreciated ❤️

Rosie likes this.
  12. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

That is a lovely thought about them having no concept of time. I hope she knew how loved she was. She was wagging her tail all the way to the end, bless her.

And I agree, this forum is a godsend - it's just so helpful to be able to share this with strangers who feel the same way ❤️

13. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

So sorry for your loss Jen... so heart breaking for you and your family.
    Run free little Penny. xxx

Jen1 likes this.
  14. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

By the way, I spoke to the vet today about the lepto4 vaccine. She said that there had been a fair amount of discussion about it online/in the media as it is a new-ish vaccine. There is always an element of risk associated with vaccination however her understanding is that 1 dog in 1000 will have an adverse reaction. She also said that she has never heard of a dog having these symptoms as a result but that she would report it to the manufacturer in case there is a pattern. I feel much more positive on that front. I think we've just been very, very unlucky and don't think it will put us off vaccinations going forward but that remains to be seen.

Granca, Sven, drjs@5 and 1 other person like this.
  15. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It's terrible to lose a puppy so young and before you've had a chance to forge a proper relationship. You did everything right, though. It probably has nothing to do with the vaccine, but even if it did, you were being a responsible dog owner having her protected. I'm sure you'll still feel trepidation with vaccines going forward for a while, but it really is the best way to protect both your dog, and the other dogs s/he comes into contact with.

I'm so sorry you had to experience this. I'm sure you'll feel the need to fill that hole soon, and when the time is right, you will. It's not replacing her, it's not dishonouring her. I like to think that every new member of our family swells our hearts. When they leave us, those hearts may be broken, but we're still left with more than we had before. This is their biggest gift to us :)

Sven, Jen1, Beanwood and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jen1

Jen1 Registered Users

Aw, that's lovely. Thank you x

17. BevE

BevE Registered Users

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry. I can't comprehend the grief and sadness. However short her life though, she only knew love and kindness. Thoughts and love xx

Jen1 likes this.
  18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Jen, I am terribly sorry to read about little Penny, what an awful thing to happen :(:( The time you had with Penny was filled with love and happiness and you did everything the right way for her. Thinking about you, lots of hugs. Sweet dreams little Penny puppy xxxx

Jen1 likes this.