Perfectionism and failure

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Emily, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Benson and Bramble have two positions for when they are working ie: gundog training or on a shoot. One is a sit, as Heidrun explained this is quite an active sit! :) Benson will be listening out for every gunshot, or dummy launcher, and following the mark (fall of the dummy, shot bird) Same with Bramble.
    If nothing really is going, or waiting our turn for something, then I pop them into a settle, which is the hip to the side, lying down in a naturally relaxed position. I taught this literally from day 1 with Bramble, and I think it is almost a cue to switch off for a bit.
    I wish I could say I could walk away for 30 mins, and be confident they would both be there when I returned...but alas I don't think so! :)

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I really struggled to teach Molly to stay, so it's a real delight to me that now I can take her to the class I train, leave her lying on her mat at one side of the hall and she stays there for 30 minutes while the other dogs are doing things around her. I guess it's a settle rather than a stay -I don't mind if she changes position ( lying on her side or front etc) as long as she remains lying down on the mat.
    I hope it encourages the owner of the young Lab in my class, as I tell them how Molly was much worse than theirs at the same age!

drjs@5, selina27, SwampDonkey and 4 others like this.
  3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Blimey! Note to self...must work harder! ;):D:D

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I'm sure Molly wouldn't do that if birds were coming down around her! ;)

5. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Don't think mine will be, we will see when it's back to wearing jumpers I'm sure one of my arms could be 8ft long. :D:D

Jes72 likes this.