Persuading Landlord to Allow a Dog (More detail below)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Bernie, May 12, 2023.

1. Bernie

Bernie Registered Users

Hi Labrador Hive Mind,

My family lived in South Korea for fifteen years, and for the last two and a half, I was looking for a landlord who would allow us to live with our dog, without success.

My dog loving dad, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma (bone marrow cancer), and we had to move back. We found a house near family, and Bernie went to live with my mum & dad. It was great for my dad, and as he was predicted to have a few years left, decided that Bernie could stay with them permanently as it was getting my dad out, and he was good company for them. Unfortunately, two months later, my dad passed away, when his blood levels suddenly changed.

It has been good for my mum, but now she wants to learn to live independently, and my aunt (Mum's sister), is allergic to dog hair. My family live in a house, which is rented, and doesn't allow dogs. We keep the house very clean, and we are upgrading the garden. This was before it happened. We have been planning this as a long term rental, as house prices in England have increased more than wages in the last fifteen years, and we can't afford to buy.

We are willing to do anything, and I want him back with us, as it I don't want my mum to feel that she has to keep him (Which she will, won't complain, will keep him forever, but it is a problem).

What would you suggest to be able to have a dog in our rental property? The house is very clean. We will deep clean and also pay for a professional cleaning company to come out and clean before we move out. We are long term tenants. We are reseeding the garden, fixing things that weren't done before we moved in etc. Bernie doesn't bark, is well-trained, he will pee in designated areas and will be walked three times a day (It was 4 times a day in Korea, as we lived in flats. 3 is easy).
    We live in Silkstone, Barnsley and any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Bernie

Bernie Registered Users

Paragraph one correction: I was looking in the UK for the last 2 and a half years. We had two pet friendly places in Korea, and it was pretty easy.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

What does your current landlord say ? Really it is up to individual landlords to decide how they let their houses out, so what is in your current rental agreement?

4. CeeCee

CeeCee Registered Users

You could also offer to pay a substantial pet bond amount to sweeten the pot for the landlord. This would be used to rectify any pet caused damages to the property when you move out. If no damage, it should be refundable. (make sure you get these terms in writing and take photos of the property before the dog moves in so that any existing 'damage' is not blamed on the dog).

Edp likes this.