Pet insurance

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mowgs, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

Re: Pet insurance

OMG david !!! Thats rediculous !!!!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Our anti-inflammatorie cost around £45 for a 2 month supply - although this normally last us 4 months as we are just using a half dose - we use the normal dose for a few days a month only just now - just if she has over-indulged in raucous play.

jac

3. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

Isn't that sort of thing covered by insurance? If not what exactly does insurance cover...we have no insurance here but heck I'm starting to believe that seriously, if anything went wrong...fingers crossed it never does...there would be no hope whatsoever for McQueen.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I only have 3rd party coverage insurance for Poppy, as medical insurance is so expensive here. My old boys were never insured either - we just paid up whenever they had to go to the vet, which luckily while they were young did not happen very often... Once they got old though (past about 12 years of age) it seemed we were constantly at the vet... Towards the end it was hundreds of pounds each month!!! Not sure that insurance would have covered that anyway. I just got my last-ever bill for Bones :'(

Having a dog IS an expensive business. But you know, I look on it like this - you have your very own security guard, you don't need to pay for going to the gym because of all the walking you do, you don't spend so much money on going out because you don't want to leave the dog on his own, ditto for holidays, you don't need to join dating sites because of all the people you will meet out dog walking and at training classes - AND you have the best friend and partner in the world who will never expect expensive Christmas or birthday presents, and will never expect you to cook them a complicated meal! You are actually SAVING money!!! ;) 8) 8)

5. David

David Registered Users

Very true!

The x-rays above are covered on my insurance which costs around the same per year ie around £46 per month. The cost of insurance goes up sharply when the dog is more than 9 years old in the case of a Lab.

I guess if we self insured we'd have to put away around £500 per annum to give a decent buffer.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We chose NOT to claim for our NSAIDs in an attempt to stop them hiking up our annual premium, knowing full well that when the time came, a hip replacement was about £3000 a pop, so in due course, we will be using the insurance!
    Can afford the pills, but the op is a massive chunk to pay.
    I do know other that use insurance both to pay for the pills, and for hydrotherapy (although we mostly do the latter for fun!)

jac

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Karen I love the way you look at life which is pretty much the same as me. I agree, Hattie is not insured any more, Charlie is as he is such a hooligan but when it's up for renewal we won't bother and just accept what comes along. Helen x :)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=963.msg6459#msg6459 date=1357995934]
    Karen I love the way you look at life which is pretty much the same as me. Helen x :)
    [/quote]

Great minds think alike, and all that, Helen! ;)

9. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

LOL Karen you always manage to make me laugh ...*no need to join dating sites! Only you...only you...hahahah