Picking puppy from litter at 5 weeks

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Janet McLaughlin, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Janet McLaughlin

Janet McLaughlin Registered Users

Hi there. We are to pick our female puppy this weekend. (Not taking home just visiting and picking which will join the family) this is how our family breeder does it. We are very excited. Any suggestions about how to pick? I’m sure they will all be great and at 5 weeks may be a little young to discern much about their personalities haha but advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

Sorry I don't have any advice as our little girl picked us. I think you should ask the advice of the breeder who they think is best suited to you and also see what they are like then you visit.

Good luck!

3. Sukhpreet Aujla

Sukhpreet Aujla Registered Users

Will you have the entire litter to pick from? My breeder was brilliant she sent weekly individual pictures of all the puppies and she set it up in that you got to pick in order of your place on the waiting list.

She had 5 girls 2 boys and I was 4th so I had 2 girls to pick from. I already had a favourite in mind and luckily she was one of the two options I had, and that puppy came over to me first, so she picked me really. The general advice is be wary of going for a pup that demands all the attention and equally of a pup that seems scared and cowers away, you don't have to avoid them but they might need a bit extra in terms of training. At 5 weeks they should be full of curiosity for about 5 minutes then fall asleep due to the excitement :)

4. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

This is such a sweet and spot on description of a 5 week old puppy! :D

5. Crofton138

Crofton138 Registered Users

We let the puppy pick us. The litter we were picking from had 5 bitches and we had choice of 4 of them as the breeder was keeping one for herself so obviously picked first. Two were not so interested in us (we visited twice) and kept themselves to themselves. The other two came straight over to play both times, wanted cuddles and fell asleep on our laps! So, picking between those two was quite tough but we just watched them interact with their litter and went for the middle of the road puppy, which wasn't overly boisterous but didn't hide away and seemed sociable. End result has been a superb puppy and we're more than happy.

6. Tracy Sortwell

Tracy Sortwell Registered Users

We are going next weekend to choose our puppy. He’ll be 6 weeks by then as the breeder wants to keep one and chooses at 6 weeks. We will have 2 to choose from. The answers to this question are very helpful. The photos have been super cute, am so excited!

7. BenjaminDare

BenjaminDare Registered Users

Before buying a dog, you should consult your friends, online forums and on google through the phone number, name, nick chat, forum nick of the seller to see if people have a reputation or not, reputable or is not.

8. McGuillicuddy

McGuillicuddy Registered Users

Our breeder selects puppies based on her interactions with clients. I don't know if she just got lucky or if there is some science to it, but she was spot on with our puppy (who is now 15 months).