Play fighting between half sisters.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lesley McArthur, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Lesley McArthur

Lesley McArthur Registered Users

I have a 5 month old female lab and my son has her half sister who is the same age. Same dad different mums. They love seeing each other but they just constantly play fight. This is fine if they are together for only a short while but when babysitting it becomes unbearable. They never hurt each other but it is relentless and we often end up crating them both just to get some respite from it. The only time the stop it is when out walking on the lead. Not sure if this is so bad because they are the same age and both want to play or if it is something else but it is so wearing and puts you off having them both at the one time. Can anyone please help?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I taught my two the cue 'enough'.

I teach it using very tasty treats at first, when they are not playing. I shout the word and bring them to sit by me because that's what I need to do when they are hoolying. Then, as they start to respond I use it when they are in more and more crazy play.

When I had two youngsters I had a baby gate across the room so that we could all have time out.

I'll try and get a video :)

Cath likes this.
  3. Lesley McArthur

Thanks Boogie,

They will stop for a treat and maybe last 5 minutes if you keep checking them every time they go to move but they are so funny as one will slowly start creeping over toward the other one. The problem is that as they never give it a break, they end up absolutely knackered to a point where today once my son's pup had gone home all Macy wanted to do was sleep and really struggled on her walk, sitting down all the time because she was too tired!!

4. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I don't know about 2 puppies of the same age together, I only have 1 but when my son's three year old lab came for a sleep over, I did separate them both at times to give them and me a break. I put them in crates next to each other and this worked well. When I first crated them in different rooms it wasn't so good as I couldn't be in two places at once and didn't want one being left on its own.

5. Lesley McArthur

Hi Newby lab,

Yeah, we had a crate for each of them and did put them into the crates to get some respite but we don't want to have to keep doing this. We are hoping that the older they get and the more they are together, they will calm down with each other.

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  6. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I'd be the same, mine was only for one evening and morning.