Poo Eating

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Fifi, Mar 5, 2018.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It sounds almost manic is he very stressed?

2. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Sometimes it would seem so, I think we stress one another. Other times it's like he's totally switched off to anything else - not dissimilar to the way @Fifi describes Hamish with poo.
    Yet when we do training indoors with no distractions he's brilliant and so quick to learn.
    Never had a dog like him before.

selina27 and pup-pup like this.
  3. SwampDonkey

I know what you mean Moo is a very strange dog too.she is totally blinkered like you say Ripple is. It so hard stressful and frustrating because you know how bright they are. But looking back on her life now I realise my main break through was just relax and try not to stress her. Using the long line and going back to basics starting again really helped, but it took ages before I could say she was at a stage when she was allowed any freedom.its great the way you try to save him from himself,. He's lucky to have you.i went through a stage were I just couldn't see Way forward but in the end it was ok.

selina27 and SteffiS like this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I guess it depends on the dog. Sometimes I throw treats for Hattie in sheep paddocks where there is quite a lot of poo and it works, she is distracted by the treats then comes back to me and leaves the poo :)
    I also use "look at me" which I treat for, so both options work for us. :) x

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'm sure you're right and it depends on the dog and how they behave around foods of different value. In Training Academy, there is a game where you throw one piece of "rubbish" food away from you and then feed a high value piece of food close to you. The idea is that the dog learns the value is with you. I use a variation of this myself with Willow, but it always makes me laugh when people talk about their dogs learning not to bother chasing the boring bit of kibble when there's chicken with Mum. I'm like - I have Labradors, they're never not going to chase the kibble. Every piece of food is sacred ;)

I laugh, but I do think the technique that you describe would work for my dogs because although they (the girls) eat sheep poo, they're not obsessed by it, so would reorient to me to get another tastier treat. However, if there was kibble scattered on the floor (pretending to be poo) and I played the same game, they would take the piece of chicken and then hoover up the kibble before looking to me for some more chicken. So, if you have a dog who regards poo as highly as mine regard kibble, then it probably wouldn't work.

charlie and pup-pup like this.
  6. SwampDonkey

It's is down to the degree of obsession.my other 2 are totally disinterested but will give it a go. But Moos drive and focus on poo is crazy and I've met some dogs who are worse.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It must be down to the degree of obsession. Hattie is not obsessed with poo and thankfully not dog poo, so what I have to offer is of higher value to her, even kibble, sometimes depending on how fresh the poo is!
    Charlie has never eaten any poo maybe because he runs so fast :rolleyes: and just likes the odd roll in Fox poo! xx

SwampDonkey and selina27 like this.
  8. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

Just caught up with this thread so thought I'd report how Inky and I are doing re him eating dog poo.
    After a 1:1 with our new trainer, we have gone back to the beginning learning leave with a new cue, I'm taking it slowly and nowhere near taking it out yet.
    When we are out, he walks either with a muzzle if off lead or on his lead. This is so he can't self reward. I have a longer lead but not a long line so he has a bit more freedom and if we come across dog poo, I hold him on the lead so he can't get it but don't say anything and treat when he turns away, idea being I think no reward, not even attention for going to poo.
    Is it working? Well he doesn't usually poke his muzzle into poo now, only very occasionally and just sniffs it. On the lead he occasionally walks past it but I think he'd eat it if I let him. He is more interested in other sniffs now and isn't only looking for poo.
    On the other hand I don't think it's so much fun for him when he's playing with other dogs and it's much harder to play any game like fetch or hunt kibble because I have to feed it through the muzzle.
    I do find it has affected our walks, they aren't as fun but I find it less stressful now I have a plan in place that I stick to. I remind myself that I started the muzzle because he ate so much poo it made him ill. I know there's lots of threads on this on the forum but I still find it reassuring that I'm not alone with this problem!

selina27 likes this.
  9. SwampDonkey

You're really not:) it's sounds good and that your plan is working. It doesn't matter how long it takes breaking the habit and reestablishing new ones takes time. It took ages with Moo xxx

BevE and selina27 like this.
  10. Fifi

Fifi Registered Users

Thanks to everyone for comments and suggestions...... It's good to know I'm not alone. I do use games and enticing treats, such as roast chicken and steak. He will run to fetch ball then drops it before he gets back to me because he smells poo! Can't get my head around him preferring poo to steak!! unfortunately, pretty much everywhere I walk him has poo and unless he's on lead I can't get to him before he eats it. He is brilliant at leave command in house, but outside, temptation is too much I guess. Anyway, thank you all for comments, I really appreciate them.