poor henry

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by fergyguy, Feb 28, 2017.

1. fergyguy

fergyguy Registered Users

please guys can you help us with an issue we have with our 11 year old henry...back in june he had to have his tail removed following an incident whilst he was being looked after by a dog sitter for 3 days..since then despite the operation going well and the vet making a brilliant job leaving him with a very cute and neat bob tail we have notice he's suddenly looking his age,coat looks bit shabby with a few skin issues which is so not like him. A few days ago he jumped out my van as he always does but started limping quiet bad on his front left leg which he had suffered a sprain on some 7 years ago but which has never been a problem since. that night he woke me in the early hours wanting to go out for a wee and he limped out onto the drive had a wee then stood looking at me as if not knowing where he was and it took me ages to get him back inside and onto his bed where he began panting like a train to the point his whole body was almost jumping off the bed..this lasted all night. the following night we had the same problem so a trip to the vets sunday full examination and bloods all showing nothing but agin night after night we are having to sleep on sofa with him to try and keep him calm...he started panting midnight last night and stopped when we let him out on back lawn at 7am where he walked around sniffing plus odd wee but no panting. back in the house first hour laid on his bed still and sleepy but then the panting started again along with heavy shuddering and teeth chattering. the pain killers the vet gave us for him to be taken very 8 hours seem to do nothing after 2 hours he's panting crying and shuddering. he is due back at vets 3.45 today but we are at our wits end and just hope someone on here has experienced similar and maybe it would give us somewhere to start when trying to sort him out. unto this henry has always been a fit healthy and not over weight dog. thanks guys any suggestions??? kind regards martin

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi and welcome I am very sorry about this very upsetting situation. It sounds awful. I do hope the vet can find out what the problem is and can help you. Is he ok apart from the panting and shuddering - I mean can he walk ok? It sounds as though he is in pain, or could he have had a stroke? :(

3. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I'm sorry Martin, I don't have any helpful advice I just hope he is ok and the vet can help him, sounds very upsetting and stressful for you.

My first thought was diabetes but if bloods were taken that will have been ruled out. Not even sure why I thought it, just the needing to go out to wee more and wondering if the shudders or panting could be a hyper or hypo? Or Urine infection? That makes, humans at least, want to wee more but not always much wee and an infection would possibly cause the shivering? Sorry, I don't know and probably not helping.

Let us know how it goes at the vets.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, I'm sorry about poor Henry that's awful :( I don't have any thoughts I just want to say I truly hope your vet can sort your poor boy out. Please let us know. xxx

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just remembered - my very old dog had the shuddering, teeth chattering and panting at one time, turned out he had an abscess under a tooth, poor old chap. Once the tooth was removed he was fine.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor boy. Hope your vet manages to get to the bottom of it.

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor old lad , how awful for him and for you to have to witness his obvious distress . I do so hope he is alright , that the Vet has shone some light on it ?

8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I'm so sorry to hear about Henry's problems. I don't have any suggestions unfortunately, just hope you get good news from the vet and Henry can start to feel better again.

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

When Belle was a bit like this her bloods were deranged, it's good that Henry's are clear. It's awful not knowing what to do. I hope his vet can help him feel more comfortable

10. MF

MF Registered Users

I'm sorry to hear about Henry's problems. If this has happened just after the tail op, is there something the vet gave him, perhaps the anaesthetic, that might be having a residual effect? Perhaps he picked up an infection at the vet? Could you discuss this with the vet?

Because my dog is epileptic, I immediately think of a seizure. Could Henry have had a seizure? With Snowie, after a seizure he is out of sorts, needs to wee, and is disoriented. Panting and teeth chattering might be a seizure. Not to say Henry had a seizure. But perhaps something to ask your vet.

Best wishes getting this sorted out and I wish Henry a very speedy recovery. Hopefully it's just something simple that your vet can help you clear up.

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hello there,

What a worrying time for you.Has anything been established from your Vet visit?
    My sympathies about the tail.My boy had his tail amputated at 13 months.It was an awful time and My vet told me that Dexter would have been in quite considerable pain .Your dog is a lot older so possibly the symptoms you are seeing are due to him being in pain,my dog was just restless and agitated,mainly at night time which is when your dog seems to suffer the most.The stress of the cause of the operation ( you hint at a pretty bad situation) added to the operation itself,could probably cause a loss of condition in an older dog.
    The only time we have seen teeth chattering was last Summer when he took very funny turn after he'd been prescribed Bravecto.I can never be 100% sure it was that but there were strong indications that it was.He had elevated liver enzymes too and a raging temperature.
    Now that you've seen a limp after jumping out of your van ,I'd say that's a practice to stop Henry doing now and lift him in and out instead...if he's too much of an armful for you a ramp would help him out now he's an older guy.
    I hope you get him comfortable,I would really say from experience don't underestimate the effect that tail operation could have had on him
    Best Wishes
    Angela x

Pilatelover, Karen and MF like this.
  12. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Welcome to the forum, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Henry, I don't have any advice just wanted to send my sympathies.

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

So very sorry to hear this. I hope your vet has some answers. It sounds to me that there is something medical going on, like an infection or that he's in pain for some reason. It could be that this is happening at night mostly because during the day there are other things going on to distract him but at night all he can focus on is whatever is making him uncomfortable. Anyhow that's just a guess. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Let us know how it goes with the vet.

14. Mombear

Mombear Registered Users

So sorry about Henry hope you can figure out what's going aND get it fixed. Prayers for Henry