Poor little dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Aug 31, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My step son and his wife bought a French Bulldog puppy about nine months ago . I gently tried to steer them away from the breed due to the horrendous breathing problems suffered by bracycephalic type breeds but they were determined and went ahead , despite the insurance being an enormous £175 per month . I have to say that they are very careful with young Frank , being aware of the pitfalls , but things so often go wrong with these dogs, bred to please the public and not for health . This week , they are on holiday in the UK , in a chalet at a waterside resort , with the dog and were no doubt surprised to see that the couple in the next chalet also had a French Bulldog , aged two . On Monday of this week , the couple went out for an early evening meal , and came back to find their beloved dog dead , their screams alerting my step son and wife who ran out to see what was wrong . The couple had only been gone for an hour and a half , but the heat had proved too much for a young dog who had been bred to have breathing problems , and he had suffocated . It so saddens me that ,despite all the warnings and articles , Pippa having written an excellent one outlining all the problems , demand is still high and tragedies like this will surely continue , a young dog who simply couldn't breathe , poor little soul x

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Kate that is horrific :(:( How awful for the couple to find their beloved dog like that. I am so sorry for them. xxx

FayRose likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I just makes me angry and sad by turns. Its time to stop breeding these dogs.Its cruelty it's does not need to happen.

Granca and selina27 like this.
  4. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

That is dreadful.

There are several things wrong with the way dogs are bred to emphasise certain characteristics of the breed; not the least guilty being shows and their governing bodies who list these 'desirable' aspects. These dogs become caricatures and it is nothing short of wicked cruelty.

I hope these remarks don't get me in trouble here, but this is a particular grouch of mine and my comments have got me in trouble in the past. I'll stop here before I say anything I shouldn't on a public forum.

So sorry for your stepson's holiday neighbours kateincornwall.

Stacia, Granca, UncleBob and 3 others like this.
  5. kateincornwall

I couldn't agree more . Plus the fact that, for many of the breeders , its all about cashing in . I know for a fact that my step son and wife paid around £2k for Frank , which to me is obscene but then, its their choice , the health issues concern me far far more , but the KC seem , as always , reluctant to make a stand, on the side of the dogs x

SwampDonkey and FayRose like this.
  6. SwampDonkey

If people buy them it creates a market. If the werent the top must have dog of the moment they wouldnt be bred. The cruel and unscrupulous see money to be made and the dogs are just innocents caught up in this. Rescue centres are filling up with dogs who's owners can't aford the vets fees. Most are lucky if the make 8.I know what it's like to be unable to breath and to stop breathing at night these poor dogs go through this everyday everynight.Its wrong no excuses I wish I could do more to stop it.

FayRose likes this.
  7. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Oh my goodness that utterly horrendous and sickening.

FayRose likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

Totally agree. I sorry the dog died too

FayRose likes this.
  9. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

This is very sad, both for the humans and the poor dog. I have to admit, I just love pugs, Frenchies, boxers, etc. BUT now that I know more about the health problems, I have very mixed feelings when I see them and I would never have one myself. They do have such unique breed temperaments and I wish responsible breeders would "reverse breed" (not a term, I know) back to generations ago when they looked very different and did not have such extreme physical traits that endanger their lives.

Maybe that is a little bit of a thing already as I've met two pugs here in Regensburg who are quite thin and long legged with longer noses - very athletic and quick. I asked if they were "puggles" (pug/beagle) and their humans told me they were "Altmops" or "Old Fashioned Pugs", which is apparently a thing to try to get back to a healthy and active type of pug. If this is true and not another marketing gimmick, it would be a good thing.

Karen, Granca, UncleBob and 3 others like this.
  10. selina27

Thing is though, as a kid I remember being told about the breathing problems that dogs such as bulldogs and boxers were having due to squashed faces and I'm in my early sixties, so we're talking 50 ish years ago, so it's not new. I'm astonished to find that it still happens now. The situation for hip dysplasia and eye problems seems to have advanced greatly by comparison.

11. SwampDonkey

Its not just there breathing its the teeth crammed in the too small jaw the eye problems because they stick out the deformed spine and tail. Skin problems too the inability to conceive naturally or have vaginal births. The digestive disorders the short life spans and and and..........
    so sorry but it just makes my head spin

FayRose likes this.
  12. kateincornwall

I`m just pleased that Nell doesn't have the Shih Tzu face , as they are brachy , she has the Shih Tzu coat in a Chihuahua body , including head , but without the bulging eyes . Even so , she is fraught with potential issues . I feel so terribly sad for dogs born with so many problems as you outline @SwampDonkey , and this poor little two year old paid with his life x

13. selina27

I had no idea the extent of it all. Don't be sorry, people need to know.

14. selina27

What does that mean?

15. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Poor dog :(

I always wanted a pug, I think they're adorable. But it was the health issues that made me not get one, I just don't think I could watch it not live a "normal" dog life.

I know a girl who got a frenchie and it's eye popped out. o_O So scary all the things that can go wrong with them!

16. SwampDonkey

Short faced pushed in face

selina27 likes this.
  17. selina27

Seems vastly at odds with the welfare regulations required to be met for food production... like @FayRose I'd better curtail myself on a public forum.

FayRose and SwampDonkey like this.
  18. SwampDonkey

I'm so glad Nell isn't flatfaced

kateincornwall and selina27 like this.
  19. SwampDonkey

there's plenty of stuff to read if you want to out there it's a real education

selina27 likes this.
  20. Granca

Granca Registered Users

That's so sad - a terrible experience for the poor dog and its owners. Your step-son and his wife must have been very upset too. The obsession for unnatural looks and traits for certain breeds,regardless of the effects on the dog, has certainly put me off the whole dog show scene.