Poorly Charlie

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JulieT, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Re: Poorly Charlie

Looking at this reminds me I found a couple of old batteries that my OH had taken out of the phone just lying on the sideboard! Big hazard as the cat could have pushed them on the floor and Penny eaten them! Good job I spotted them and threw them away!

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks for the update Julie, so glad he is on the mend :) I will have a look around my house tomorrow as my youngest son Thomas is terrible with batteries for his remote control helicopters etc. he changes batteries and leaves the old ones on his bedroom floor, Charlie could easily sneak up and who knows what could happen. I will be having a chat with young Thomas tomorrow and explain what happened to your Charlie :( xx Hugs from us xx

3. sussex

sussex Registered Users

so sorry to hear this hope he is better soon

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

hmm....well. I'm not so happy with him today.

Last Thursday was the last of the meds, and over the weekend we switched him off soft food and back onto kibble. Both the wet food and the kibble is exactly the same formula, and we'd switched him onto the wet food immediately without a problem.

All going well, with no problem at all. His mouth looks completely normal and has done for days now.

This afternoon, after no problems this morning, we noticed an increase in drool and a very, very slow eating of treats. He is even slow to eat soft chicken.

Have looked in his mouth and can see nothing at all amiss. You would never know that there was ever anything wrong.

But something's up. This is not a dog that doesn't wolf down chicken when it's offered...

Off to the vet first thing. I can't say I think it's an emergency. But I want this checked out.

In Cornwall, so will see Kate and Sam's lovely vet. :)

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope you get to the bottom of it! Good thing that you have a trusted vet handy :)

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh dear Julie - doesn't sound like Charlie at all. Hope everything is okay.

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh dear :( good luck tomorrow, hope its nothing x

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I hope it's nothing too - he got sea biscuits today, for the first time in ages. So hoping that it's just a bit of crunching things again making his mouth a bit sensitive.

He is drinking, peeing, pooing, and jumping on people like his normal self (well, a bit less mad than usual, but the bit-less-mad thing has been around for a month or more now, so had put that down to normal amounts of exercise decreasing the madness levels).

9. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I'm really sorry to hear that Charlie is poorly again. I thought it was all over, as I'm sure you did.

Good thing you are vigilant and will whisk him off to the Vets pronto.

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hope you feel better soon Charlie. Hugs from us xxx :(

11. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Oh no! Hope it turns out to be nothing. Poor boy. These dogs sure do test our worry levels don't they.

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Oh no :( let us know how Charlie is x

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

How is Charlie today Julie ? Hope it went well at the vet and it's just a bit of over chewing. :-\

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hope Charlie is OK, and it is just something of nothing :)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

He has a sore throat, poor boy.

I am very worried this is related to the battery chewing, but the vet doubts it since he has been fine for so long since then.

She thinks its more likely he has eaten something he shouldn't have, and scratched his throat. There is nothing missing at home....that I can't find anyway. He still eats sticks out on walks though, despite us watching him like a hawk, he does still get them time to time.

I'm not convinced that it is unrelated to the batteries - and did question this, but anyway.

He has had a painkiller, and is now on antibiotics and metacam. Got to take him back on Friday.

The other thing that makes me a bit worried is she said his breath was smelly, but this wasn't from his teeth (which are very good, she said). I mentioned that I'd thought that for a while, but put it down to the lack of teeth cleaning, chews and wet food instead of kibble, since battery chew day. She still didn't think this meant it was battery related.

I think she is a good vet, and I don't think I'd get better care in London. So, I'll go with the programme and see how he is when I take him back on Friday.

There was a "can he eat a gravy bone ok?" test. He did his very best with that one and she said it can't be anything too bad, as he scoffed it pretty enthusiastically. And offered to show her again with 2 more.... ::)

16. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh no, poor boy , hope he feels better soon , ironically Millie was seeing Claire this morning and also has to go back on Friday , hugs for Charlie x

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Would have been so funny to have bumped into you! ;D

He got weighed, and is 27.25 - which he says is a size zero, and he is starved.

I'm surprised, he's had so much chicken lately. I guess it's the extra exercise now we're back to normal. It is the lightest he has ever been, he wasn't that light even before his op, so I think he can have a bit more food.

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Gosh he is a size zero! He was looking very slim but fab I thought not skinny. I guess you definitely wouldn't want him any thinner :)

Woohoo Charlie, more food!! ;D

19. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Glad you got some meds to help him. I bed he will be super happy to have the extra food. I'm sure there will be no complaints ;)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=7160.msg102897#msg102897 date=1408441785]
    He was looking very slim but fab I thought not skinny.
    [/quote]

No, I think he looks good too. I'll try to keep him at this weight, so was thinking if he is losing he can have just a tad more to maintain. (sorry, Charlie, got your hopes up there!)