Poorly pup (10 weeks), worried mum :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by RebeccaS, Oct 24, 2020.

1. RebeccaS

RebeccaS Registered Users

Hi

We picked up our beautiful new boy Harvey two weeks ago today. Today is his 10 week birthday. A week ago he started having very soft poo and last Monday I was up twice in the night with him with bloody diarrhoea, so I took him to the vets on Monday morning. The prescribed pancur and promax but this didn’t make much difference. There were some darker, slightly more formed poos and a few diarrhoea poos and fresh blood in some of them.

I took him back yesterday and saw a more experienced vet. She has given him a gut settler and told me to feed chicken & rice instead of normal food. She’s sending off a stool sample for analysis. This morning we woke him and he was pleased to see us but very sleepy. He’s now playing a bit with our other dog who he adores but not as lively as usual. Vets said see how he does over the weekend. I don’t want to overreact but I am really worried about him.

I should add that I used to puppy walk for a charity & have had quite a few pups in the past, but never experienced anything like this. Can anyone give me some reassurance on this?

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Rebecca,

No experience to share I'm afraid, but wishing Harvey a speedy recovery xxx

3. LLCB

LLCB Registered Users

Hi Rebecca, I hope Harvey is feeling much better. Did the results of the stool analysis show any infection? I'm also worried about my 12 week old puppy who is having the same issue. He's had two different wormers (by the vet) and been moved onto Royal Canin gastro puppy food with no sign of prolonged improvement. We have just today sent off for stool analysis but we might not have the results back until Monday.

4. RebeccaS

RebeccaS Registered Users

Hi sorry to hear you’re having similar issues. He is fine now, now 12 weeks & thriving :). The move onto chicken & rice for 48 hours was a huge help & I wish I’d followed my own instincts on this earlier. I then weaned him back onto a different kibble (using Wainwright’s Puppy) & he is ok.

interestingly the vets rang the following week to say he had had 2 parasites in his poo but both were self limiting & I think by then they must have been out of his system.

I’d try chicken & rice for a few days to be honest to give his system time to recover. Ours seem to be the same age - Harvey will be 13 weeks on Saturday. Please let me know how your boy gets on, hope he’s ok :)

5. Crofton138

Crofton138 Registered Users

We had the exact same problem with our black lab puppy at around the same age. Our vet put her on Pro Plan Gastrointestinal canned wet food for a couple of weeks along with Protexin Pro-Kolin+ (which you can buy online from a registered pet pharmacy). It took a 2-3 weeks for the soft stools to completely resolve, during which time we transitioned her slowly to grain-free kibble. We've landed on Pooch & Mutt Health & Digestion as her long-term food now and she absolutely loves it.

6. Lauryn Boyd

Lauryn Boyd Registered Users

Hi everyone, new to the forum but found it so interesting!

My puppy had the same issue, fresh blood and mucas in stool etc, he’s been on Royal Canin gastro puppy since Thursday along with a new wormer and probiotics and has a check up tonight.
    Were your puppies lethargic also?
    Mine seemed to be so much better from Friday since starting to the new food but today he’s very tired and napping a lot again?