Poppy 2nd Bath!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by lois, Jan 11, 2014.

1. lois

lois Registered Users

Hubby decided to take Poppy to work today, where she goes everyday with me but oh so different with hubby as its Saturday the yard is quiet we are surrounded by fields...so he just let her run and run she played with lots of dogs all going on a shoot and nearly joined them!!!!
    Home she came 5 hours later OMG she was covered in thick thick mud her collar which is pink was just brown mud, she looked like she had a wonderful time.....straight into the bath and what a good girl, she stood so still letting us shampoo her and then letting me dry her bless her she smells lovely now, I think bathing will become regular thing if hubby takes her with him every Saturday!!

Have I seen on here somewhere a coat they wear after bathing??

2. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

Re: Poppy 2nd Bath!!!

bless :)

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sounds like she had the very best time ;D
    Yes, you can buy a sort of towelling bath robe/coat for dogs , not sure where from but if you Google towell coats for dogs , you should get some links :)

4. lois

lois Registered Users

Funny hubby didn't want a dog but they are the best of friends now, cuddles every night ha ha feel quite left out sometimes.. ;)

MF likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You can get drying coats for gundogs - particularly spaniels - but I have a Hotterdog fleece that I use and works really well.
    Hotterdog are the "off the shelf" version of the Equafleece brand so a little less pricey - think I got mine off ebay.

I have now developed a technique of showering in the cubicle, getting her to "shake", drying off with a towel and popping on the fleece before we even exit the cubicle, and I must say, it makes a big difference to the spread of water round the house - she dries much quicker too with the fleece, and it reduces the wet dog smell I reckon (sorry....but I'm not a fan ::) )

6. BigDutch

BigDutch Registered Users

Hi everyone, more advice please. When we bath Riley (8 months old now) she gets more and more excited. She jumps in herself has a quick play around in the water as we wash her then as we try to hold on to her she jumps out again shakes herself and tries to run around the bathroom. Is there a harness we could get to hold on to her better or is there a way to make bathtime a bit boring and not adding to the excitement.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@big Dutch back in the autumn I was having to put Juno in the bath to use a medicated shampoo for a skin infection. She had to stand in the bath for 5 minutes after a second shampoo before rinsing. I used the time to practice look at me's for treats, which worked well. You may want to try something similar but start with an a
    empty bath, click and treat for calm and gradually build time, then add a little water and c&t for calm and gradually build. Baths quickly become boring for the jumping around but are very welcome because of the treats.

BigDutch likes this.
  8. Cath

Cath Registered Users

It sounds like she really enjoyed herself. I bet she had a good sleep when she got home :)

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

A towel in the bottom of the bath helps prevent slipping.

How often do you bath Riley? My two are 19 months and only been showered (we don't have a bath!) a couple of times, when they've been really disgusting from rolling in something. Mud I just rub off with a towel, and smaller spots of dirtiness I use a sponge on.

You really shouldn't need to give a full bath very often, so between times, you can work on desensitisation. If you use a clicker, use click for calm with lots of high value treats, as Rosemary has suggested.

10. BigDutch

BigDutch Registered Users

Hi Fiona, Well Riley is 8 month old now and the last bath was the third we've given her so maybe i'll take your advice and just use a wet sponge. Thanks

kateincornwall likes this.
  11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I too use a wet sponge as I only have a shower . My one and only attempt to get Sam into the shower ended in complete chaos and a wet home , never ever again :)

12. snowbunny

If they (invariably Shadow, my yellow) have rolled in something particularly disgusting and staining, I'll use a hard-backed sponge, always working in the same direction as the hair, so as to not grind it deeper in.

13. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We hose ours down outside :)

14. snowbunny

We do that in the summer if they've been in the sea or are especially filthy. They like this far better than going in the shower - Willow will try to catch the stream of water in her mouth. Daft dog.

15. soberbyker

soberbyker Registered Users

We have a pet store chain here that offers a place to wash your dog yourself for $10, they supply everything, shampoo, water, tether, towels, hairdryer, even a smock to keep yourself from getting wet. Plus they clean up after. They have three different heights and varying depths of the basin so you can stand up while giving the cleaning. Well worth the $10. Maybe check into such a place where you are from.

I only use them if Zeke gets extra muddy though, as I've read you should not use shampoo too often on a lab because it can wash away the natural oils on his skin that keep him warm in water, if he just needs a rinse I tie him up outside and use a hose with a shower nozzle on the end, then a microfiber cloth to dry him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

samandmole and Peter like this.
  16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

ugh - Coco had his first wash today, with the Hozelok Porta Shower and Foxpoo shampoo, in the garden. He rolled (and rolled and rolled) in polecat-ferret poo this afternoon. I tried to get it off with some waterless shampoo and one of those damp towels before he got in the car - didn't work, and I ended up with it over me too. Showering really is a 2 person job, so consequently he is now smelling of damp dog and watered down poo. And my car stinks... the joys of dogs :rolleyes:

Naya, drjs@5, MaccieD and 1 other person like this.
  17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly likes to roll. :rolleyes:

I have showering down to a fine art.
    Trained her to step into the shower and will go in with her, use the FOX POO shampoo, rinse off, get her to shake (another useful thing to train!) and then towel her down, all in the shower cubicle.
    Once she is dry as I can get her I pop on a fleece - I have a Hotterdog one (the off the shelf version of the Equafleece). Then and only then do I open the shower door.
    Job done :D

She rarely needs a full shower now though. I found that a combination of the Magic Cowboy Green Spot Remover and one of the chamois-style wet drying towels is actually pretty successful. :)

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My two Labs, one aged almost 10 years and one just 4 years, have never had a bath or a shower! In the summer they can swim sometimes and a good day of rain can make them as fresh as a daisy:)