Poppy has changed???

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by lois, Jan 7, 2014.

1. lois

lois Registered Users

Poppy is about 15months old, she has always eaten whatever I have given her with gusto, and straight after would sit quietly by the front door whilst I got ready to take her out, now all of sudden she looks at her food, sniffs it sometimes wanders off not interested at all I have to call her 2 or 3 times she does eventually eat it, and then goes mad running round tail wagging, jumping up desperate to get out wont sit still having her lead put on, why???? I am confused sometimes as to what goes on in her little head...

2. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Re: Poppy has changed???

Maybe she's just a bit bored of the food she's getting? If she's off her food and lethargic with vomiting or diarrhoea then I would say contact a vet, but it sounds like she's fine in herself. If she is eating just dry food try adding a splash of hot water to soak the biscuits - will hp release the smell and make them more appealing.

On a side not it's not usually a good idea to exercise your dog right after eating as it can leading to conditions like bloat, or gastric torsion. It's generally recommended you wait an hour after food to let it get digested. Also you shouldn't exercise them for an hour before meals too.

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I agree - walk her first, and then feed her afterwards. It sounds like she just isn't hungry enough before her walk (and it is indeed dangerous to exercise dogs immediately after feeding). Personally I don't wait for a full hour after a walk before giving my Poppy her food, I just wait until she has calmed down and isn't panting or hot.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Same here Karen,it's old news I know how I get tortured by Dexter for his food....after the bloat discussion I wait until he's cooled down and breathing is normal....it doesn't take that long to be honest .....I try and do a steady pace walk at the end of his excercise so he's more or less ready when we get in.