Poppy refuses to walk

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Poppys Dad, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Poppys Dad

Poppys Dad Registered Users

Hello, my name's Andrew and my current Treasure is Poppy an eight year old former assistance dog who's been with me for two years. She's recently become very much more sensitive to noises such as shooting and car exhausts and remembers places where she heard them and is reluctant to walk, preferring just to head back home. So far this week all our walks have been of about ten minutes duration, just enough to do what was necessary. This situation seems to have been brought about by her being bitten about two months ago.
    I have a friend who is a behaviourist but we haven't made any progress as Poppy is quite happy to go for walks if he's present. Similarly on walks with her two Lab buddies, Bridgette and Duke she'll willingly trot along with them although on the last occasion a motorbike made her stop but we still completed the walk.
    I get the feeling that she might be taking advantage of my soft nature but if she lies down there's no budging her unless we turn round and head for home.
    I've had Labs for 30 years and never met this behaviour before. Can anyone help please?