Popularity of Lab Colors

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Ski-Patroller, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gorgeous!

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

2. Nade

Nade Registered Users

This is true. Breeders tend to avoid some chocolates because of the colour. It really doesnt look nice when you see a dog that has fifty shades of chocolate on him :D But, I have seen a lot of american dogs that have a great dark chocolate,that would not chance, which is what it is expected.

I myself must brab ( :D ) in Pepas litter I got two chocolate boys. One of them was lighter and one darker. The lighter one turned dark now, and the darker one on photos is like almost black. I am proud of them, but it took me and my brother quite some time to choose the stud.

3. Tanya

Tanya Registered Users

Completely unscientific but locally (I'm in Canada) black labs seem to be the majority, the most "popular" color. but there are more and more chocolates. Oddly, I don't see many yellow labs comparatively.

I love chocolate labs (and this is why I specifically went looking for a chocolate when I adopted Rocky and why many of my fosters the first few years were chocolate labs/lab mixes that were chocolate). My next will be a yellow :)

4. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Oh he is beautiful :D

5. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've had one of each of the main colours, but not a fox red. In my youth it appeared that every Lab (except the Andrex puppy) was black. I can't remember ever seeing a choccie. Nowadays there seem to be many more yellows and choccies around.

OH and I were very pleased when Bill Clinton got a choccy. We'd had one for a couple of years. It's always nice to be a trend-setter :)

Choosing the colour of your lab is always an issue. Black is great if you wear dark clothes, but black Labs can disappear into the darkness at night. A reflective collar and torch are essential. Choccies can go into stealth mode in the undergrowth. If they stand still in the woods they become invisible. Yellows are very expressive and easy to spot in the dark or in undergrowth. The downside is that the hairs show up on everything.

Oberon and Naya like this.
  6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, they are all lovely. Choccies have my heart though. :)

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I find Willow's (black) hair doesn't really show up even on light coloured clothes. It's like it doesn't stick as much as Shadow's yellow.

Having a quite pale yellow, I can tell you that he disappears against the snow when I walk dawn and dusk :)

Hollysdad likes this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Julie, were those photos taken in the evening? The light is beautiful - as is Charlie, obviously!

9. Emily

Emily Registered Users

@JulieT Charlie has the most handsome face, I just love it :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Aw, thank you. I think it's a bit better than in those photos, the light was very bright and low angled and is making his eyes look very light. They are really darker than that. But I love his face too (I would though, wouldn't I?). :)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It was extraordinary light. It was a cold sunny winter afternoon in December 2014 with the light almost horizontal and bouncing off the sea in front of the cliffs.

12. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Saba is a dark chocolate, with a beautiful chestnut glow in the sunlight. He's one of eight; the five boys are all dark, while the girls take after their mother who is a milk chocolate colour. We knew a couple of fabulous chocolate labs, which influenced our choice when puppy hunting, and I don't think chocolates are any harder to train. I knew a very bad-tempered yellow/golden Lab, and for that reason wouldn't consider having one myself.

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I always wanted a light yellow lab until I met Harley - she changed my mind :)
    I love all colours of labs, but fox red is my absolute favourite :)

Debs likes this.
  14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Black trousers for school/work = black lab ;);):D

kateincornwall likes this.
  15. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

image.jpeg
    This is why I love my choccie girl, such a pretty face. She's sitting patiently while I take my wellies off. Didn't need them it was 19 degrees. Yay does that mean summers on its way. :cool:

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That would be nice, wouldn't it....

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I walked without a coat yesterday! Just a fleece and my scarf. Still needed my wellies though. Back in my rain coat today, it's chunking it down. Still, mustn't moan, the Common gates are open until 7.30pm now, and the rain meant all the kids with footballs went home early. Had the place to myself (well, you know, as much as that's possible in London).
    :happyfeet:

Naya and Pilatelover like this.
  18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's the chocolate nose that does it for me. :heart:

Pilatelover likes this.
  19. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I don't have a preference. My OH wanted a male lab, I just wanted a dog (male or female). I'm just glad that Dexter was the last one left, no choice to make apart from yes or no. Once I met him, no was not an option :D

Jes72, edzbird, MaccieD and 2 others like this.
  20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I didn't have a choice, as Simba was a "left-behind" but if I was to choose now I probably would pick a (shhh) black. Chocolate would be a close second, though. Around here I see more chocolates than anything (like 2-3 to the 1 black I saw:rolleyes: )

drjs@5 likes this.