Possible mast cell tumour?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Sticks1977, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Sticks1977

Sticks1977 Registered Users

I have recently found a lump on the front left leg of my 8 year old chocolate labrador (Henry) and have taken him to the vet and he's been prescribed Neocort cortisone cream and Cephalexin tablets and both are to be administered twice a day.

He is due to re-visit the vet later this week for a follow-up to see if the lump has decreased in size or colour and if not, a biopsy may be done and possible removal of the lump.

I joined up at this forum to try and put my mind at ease this week - the worst thing to do is Google and it the lump seems to look similar to a mast cell tumour. I've attached two photos with the first showing the location of where the lump is and another with a close-up of the lump, I have shaved the hair surrounding the lump which has made it easier to apply the cortisone cream.

I'd love to hear from any of you and if you've had a similar lump appear on your lab.

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977)

http://s182.photobucket.com/user/Sticks1977/media/IMG_1892.jpg
    http://s182.photobucket.com/user/Sticks1977/media/IMG_1892.jpg

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, Photobucket no longer allows embedding of photos onto third-party forums. You can use Flickr or Imgur (or others) to share photos.

3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Hello and welcome! I can't actually see your photos, but as I wouldn't try to make a guess anyway as I'm not a vet. I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're having this scare but also that there are SO many difference causes for lumps and bumps, many of them benign and temporary. My dog was about Henry's age when his "bumpiness" really started, and all of his turned out to be benign upon doing needle biopsies.

It's totally normal to let your mind go to the worse case scenario, but hopefully you'll get good news at your follow up later this week. Wishing you all the best and please let us know how you and Henry get on. :)

selina27 likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. Hopefully the lump on Henry's leg is nothing serious.

The one thing I would say is that if your vet was really worried, I would have thought he would do a biopsy immediately, instead of waiting a week. Try not to worry.

5. Sticks1977

Thanks everyone for the replies so far - I didn't know that Photobucket no longer allowed embedding of images or that the links didn't work when posting on a forum. Instead I've uploaded the images to a third party uploader so hopefully the links below direct you to the correct images - the photos were only taken an hour ago when I arrived home from work.

[​IMG]
    - close up of lump

[​IMG]
    - location on front leg

[​IMG]
    - extra photo with front paw

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2018
  6. Sticks1977

I also forgot to add - I have shaved the hair around the edges of where the lump which has helped to apply the cortisone cream and also let the area breathe.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I don't have any advice, sorry - just to let you know I've embedded your images. To do this, scroll down on the ImgBB site (thanks for that, it's another one to add to the list of acceptable hosts) and click the "Embed codes" tab. Then copy the first BBCode link and paste it into your message box here.

Sticks1977 likes this.
  8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome.e from me and Lilly.
    I think it's so difficult for non experts to tell about lumps.
    Lilly had one removed a few years ago and the conclusion was pretty much that it was a calloused area from sitting. Although I found that odd to be honest.
    If your vet is concerned he or she will remove it.
    Fingers crossed it' nothing to worry about

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Lumps should always be investigated , so you are right to seek veterinary advice and take him for follow ups . My boy had a lump 18 months ago , the Vet didn't prescribe any lotions , but performed a fine needle aspirate immediately . None of us are Vets and so cant give veterinary advice , but as said by Karen , if your Vet thought it was very suspicious , he or should would most likely have followed this procedure straight away on Henry . Much luck x

10. Sticks1977

I have returned from the vet this evening and have an update on Henry.

Applying the cortisone cream and antibiotics don't seem to have helped much, the lump has not increased in size at all which is one positive outcome, but the lump will have to be surgically removed and he will require an operation this coming Monday.

The vet mentioned that they cannot give me an exact diagnosis or identify what the lump is until it is fully removed and the entire lump is sent off to the pathologist to be investigated and reported on in the laboratory. They said that a margin of approximately 1-1.5 centimetres (just over half an inch) will be taken around all sides of the lump.

There is not enough loose skin on his front leg to allow for the wound to be fully stitched once the lump and margin has been removed. The surgeon has said that he will have an open wound which will be around the size of the lump that is already there. The dressing will have to be changed every few days and he will be bandaged up for around three weeks while the wound takes time to heal.

I feel relieved that he has been seen to, and there is a clear path going forward to remove this lump, get it tested and identified and then we will be clearer on whether it is a mast cell tumour or something else, the surgeon mentioned that tumours are now graded 'high' and 'low'.

I have concerns over the open wound and hope that no infection or complications arise while it is healing - I'm thankful that he will be seen to on Monday so I have this weekend to spend with him as he will not be allowed any long walks after his operation for several weeks.

Thanks everyone for your replies and reassurance, Henry means so very much to me and I hope that he will be around for many years to come.

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977) :)

11. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Thanks for posting the update. It will be a challenge dealing with the open wound, but much the best way forward to have the lump removed and investigated. I hope it's nothing serious and Henry is soon back to normal.

12. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Please keep in touch and let us know how Henry is going on. Good luck for Monday

13. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Thinking of you both for Monday.
    Enjoy your weekend walks.
    Keep us posted.

14. MF

MF Registered Users

My vet told me that when they remove a lump, they do just what your vet said: remove it and the margin around it. That way, if it is cancerous, there is no need for another op, which is a good thing because that’s one less general anesthetic. In humans, they might first take a biopsy and only operate if needed, but in humans you can take a biopsy under local anesthetic. But not easy with dogs that tend to move!

Ask your vet about anesthetic gel for the wound so that your dog doesn’t want to lick it all the time. Although I must confess I scratched my leg really badly last week on a hike - had to have a splinter (a piece of wood!) taken out by a doctor under local anesthetic, and Snowie licked the wound at every opportunity, and it was so lovely and gentle - I called him the dogtor, and his licking did no damage whatsoever - I did have a plaster on for a bit of the time though.

Best of luck! I’m pleased you have a plan of action.

15. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I hope it all goes well on Monday. Of course you’re bound to worry, but both Molly and my previous Lab had lumps removed and recovered very easily, so fingers crossed you have a similar experience.

16. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Hope everything goes really well for you and Henry on Monday and you're back to long walks in no time. :)

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

All will be well.
    Lilly licked and bit the stitches out of her leg wound which was a bit tight any way so it healed as an open would. I found it a challenge to keep her away from it. Unless 100% vigilant a collar is a must. It can be tough to stop them licking.
    You are doing the right thing.
    Hope all is straightforward x

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Fingers crossed for you both for Monday. Hope you manage to get some nice walks in over the weekend.

19. Sticks1977

I’ve heard from the vet and Henry’s operation went well and he will be ready to pickup in an hour - it’s been a relief to know he has got through the surgery ok and will be great to see him again very soon - I’ll post pictures once he is back here at home.

edzbird, Joy, drjs@5 and 6 others like this.
  20. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

That's wonderful news. I hope he recovers nicely from the anaesthetic :)