Post Op Spay Scar - advice please

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Stace - Marie, May 6, 2017.

1. Stace - Marie

Stace - Marie Registered Users

My Chocolate lab is 7months old and recently (just over a week ago) had her spaying operation. Everything went well and the site was healing fine.

Two days ago I noticed at the top of the site had become a little swollen and rigid under the skin (not hot to touch, no discomfort when I did touch it, she has had her buster collar on the whole time). We were due at the vets for a post op check anyway so took her in and explained. The vet wasn't too concerned about it and assured us the muscle and site was fine it was just tissue damage as a result of not resting (she is only 7months old so this is tough). She gave us another course of rimadyl so that she wasn't in any discomfort and to alleviate the swelling.

This morning I checked her stomach to find it had swollen up but now was pink in colour and more like a bubble texture (like there was fluid beneath the skin) we called the vets straight away and took her for a check.
    The vet we saw again was not very concerned and said she thinks she may be allergic to the suture (?) she said that the site may either burst (then she has to go back for antibiotics) or go down by itself. We left with more rimadyl and our already scheduled appointment for Tuesday with our own vet.

I have got back this evening to find her site has again considerably got bigger and more squishy (apologies for my rubbish terminology). I'm quite concerned about it now, there is quite a difference from this morning.

(She is eating as normal, fluid intake normal, playing as normal, hasn't been outside, hasn't licked it, it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all but I'm worried regarding the size and texture of it now)

Has anybody seen this before or can you advise? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance :)

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's probably just cell fluid that's accumulated under the skin. I haven't seen this in a spay scar but I have seen it in a stitched and stapled up bite wound on my dog. Fluid built up under the site and the vet said the same kind of thing - it'll either be reasborbed by the body or it'll drain out through a hole in the incision (the 'bursting out' scenario). Like you we were told to wait and that it could be a reaction to the dissolving stitches. The fluid didn't get reabsorbed in our case. The wound ended up forming a hole and the fluid drained out so we went back to the vet and then had to apply antibiotic ointment (can't remember if he also had oral antibiotics), and then it did heal up fine.

What you've been told is consistent with what we were told about our dog's wound. But since it's getting bigger I'd call the vet again and have a chat about it. Ask all the questions you need to.

Stace - Marie likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
    Sorry you are having problems with your girl.
    I agree with Rachael above, it does just sound like a fluid accumulation (sometimes called a seroma).
    If it is warmer to the touch than the surrounding area, redder and/or there is gunk around it then I would be making a bee-line for the vet.
    Hopefully the fluid will start to settle over the next few days :)
    jac

4. Stace - Marie

Stace - Marie Registered Users

Thank you so much guys. The advice you have given is extremely helpful and settled me a lot!

Thank you again. :)

kateincornwall and Oberon like this.
  5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper had dissolving stitches because the vet did not want to have to remove them. The site was quite red but our vet said it looked pretty normal, and she healed up fine. Nine months later you would have trouble finding the scar.

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My OH had a inguinal hernia repaired and it was leaking clear liquid. He looked at the nurses notes afterwards where she had written 'serous liquid' and he went quite pale and in a trembling voice said he was leaking serious liquid :D:D

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:cwl:

Stacia likes this.