Potty training.

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Taylor, May 4, 2017.

1. Taylor

Taylor Registered Users

I was just wondering on average how long it took to toilet train your puppy? Does anyone have any tips of tricks either?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I got Shadow at 14 weeks and he was pretty much already toilet trained. I can count on one hand the number of times he "went" inside (other than from an upset tummy). Willow took a bit longer (same litter, but I had her at 8 weeks). I wouldn't have considered she was 100% until 6 months, although she had very, very few accidents from about 16 weeks onwards.

Luna has been a lot more challenging. She's 6 months now and I'd consider her toilet trained (except just the other day she pooed inside - when the door was open! NO idea what that was about). It hasn't taken any longer with her overall, I wouldn't say, but the constant vigilance lasted a lot longer with her than with my other two. It's one of the tiresome things about puppy parenting, but you know they will get there in the end.

There are no shortcuts - it just depends on the individual puppy. Eyes like a hawk, watch out for sniffing, which is often a precursor to the squat. Treats for going outside, no reaction to accidents inside. Clean up with Simple Solution. Take puppy out after every meal, drink, playtime, on waking and at regular intervals in between.

Gin. :D

BevE likes this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Most pup are not totally 'safe' from accidents until they are 5 or 6 months old. They are all different, some are very clean and dry within a week or two - others take ages. It's all about how quickly their bladder matures.

Here is an excellent article on the subject - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/house-training-your-labrador-puppy/

4. Taylor

Taylor Registered Users

Thank you, very helpful

5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I think Cooper was good by 4 months, but she had a dog door, and another dog to coach her. Chewing things was a bigger challenge than potty training.

6. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Red was housetrained by 18 weeks (she is now 21 weeks). I mean by that she was fine in the house and lasting all night. We had very few accidents in the house and they were in the early weeks.

However, I have been taking her outside on a very regular basis as she does not bark to let me know. Her signs are very very subtle - yesterday she just came and tapped my hand with her nose - took her outside and she needed a poo. I have kind of tuned into her needs. Sometimes she goes to sit by the door or will sit in the utility where the back door is. I really have to judge if she needs the toilet or not. I take her out before we walk, when we get back, before meals, after a sleep. I always put her lead on so she knows this means toilet time and not playtime. I know if she wants to poo as she will move over to another part of the lawn.

I expect to be vigilant for as long as it takes.

I guess it's tuning into your dog and this does take time and consistency.

selina27 likes this.