Private or group training for 6 month old lab puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Claudia Paley, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Claudia Paley

Claudia Paley Registered Users

Hi. We have a 6 month old black male lab puppy. He is jumping all the time and now play biting roughly with my girls. We have trained him ourselves with everything else but I think we need professional help for the jumping and play biting. Any suggestions.

Thank you.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Claudia Paley

I would do both.

Get a private lesson on how to deal with the biting Issue.

Enrol in a group class too so you have an opprtunity to work your dog when around controlled distractions,that is other dogs and handlers. Make sure the class uses positive reinforcement. The sit and down stays taught in the group class of basic obedience will offer a way of dealing with the jumping up. If the dog is in a down stay, then he can't jump.

Let us know how you gert on.

Debbie likes this.
  3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Group training helped my bouncy bonkers lab to settle around others and adjust to distractions. The lessons and perseverance were brilliant. She is a calm well adjusted girl now

4. Claudia Paley

I found a few places that I will call today about private lessons and group. The biting is more of an issue for me. My girls love him but my youngest is afraid too. I don't want that so if I can curb that one first I will.

Thank you for the advice

Claudia

5. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I kept my kids away at this stage. I most labs go through this stage...stick with training it will pass. My 10 year olds and Meg age 4 are best buddies, but when she was 6 months to just over a year it was a different story.

6. Claudia Paley

Ok I will definitely do that then.