Pup biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Mag44, May 19, 2017.

1. Mag44

Mag44 Registered Users

I have a 7 month old pup who I have tried EVERYTHING on to try to get him to stop biting. I've put him in time out, I've turned my back on him, I've even tried an e-collar and he STILL is biting. I'm starting to get to the end of my rope, please help!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You are probably chopping and changing too much. My pup is seven months old and only just coming out of the biting phase.

1. Ditch the e collar, they don't work and they hurt the dog. You want a good relationship and bond with your pup, not one where he knows he may get hurt at any moment.

2. Choose a method (re-directing and training are the best at this age) and stick with it. Be very consistent with your cues and messages. When the pup is over excited these tips are also very useful - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-behaviour/#nipping

3. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

From what you've said it sounds to me like the problem is that you've tried everything rather than sticking to one consistent method. This could have confused your pup.

With Stanley we withdrew from the situation every time he bit us. It was the consistency over a long period of time that finally got it to click with him. Even now he can get a bit mouthy and as soon as I take my hand away he turns it into licks.

But it took a long time - probably until he was 6 months of always having to withdraw for him to completely get the message. Good luck - you'll get there :)

4. Mag44

Mag44 Registered Users

Thank you for your quick replies, I really appreciate it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

5. Mag44

Mag44 Registered Users

I've been thinking about getting him neutered. Not just for this reason of course, but would having this done to him make him calm down just a bit? Again I would NOT be getting that done to him just to see if it would calm him down, I just really want to make that perfectly clear.

6. Boogie

I don't think so.

Zaba is an entire male and as calm as the day is long.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I had a very bitty pup but having had others I knew it was just a stage. I just used a lot of the ideas from this site. I wore thick jumpers and was consistance. He's now nearly 4 and a good dog. I didn't get him neutered because I wanted his bones to be fully mature and he was a sensitive boy so he needed his testosterone to help him feel braver.unfortunately this is how young dogs are its hard but it does pass.

8. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi, I think the thing is when they get to the age your pup is and they are still biting it just seems like it's forever.

But it's really not, likes others have said it will come to an end. Carry on with the advice already given, just keep doing it and you will come out the other side. My 13 month old will still get mouthy from time to time, if she is agitated in some way, but she too will get softer and softer until it's just a lick. I still have to keep up the consistency, but the frequency is less and less.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  9. Mag44

Mag44 Registered Users

Thank you again for the replies. So in the meantime until he does grow out of it can anyone give me any suggestions how to handle it until he finally does grow out of it? I have cuts and scrapes all over my arms and when guests come over I have to lock him in the laundry room. So any suggestions or help about how to handle this would be appreciated as well.

10. Boogie

11. Boogie

We have all sorts of things to keep seven month old Mollie busy.

Kong wobbler
    Snuffle mat
    Buster cube
    Kong quest treat toys
    Tugging toys

We also do 'find it' games which really keep their minds occupied. Get the dog in a sit-stay then hide food under toys, mats etc then give the cue 'find it'. They love it and it tires them out :)

12. Mag44

Mag44 Registered Users

By the way, I take him outside daily and throw tennis balls with him and let him run around to try to get some of that energy out of him so he gets exercise as I try to use that to expend some of that seemingly endless engergy :) Thank you still for all the suggestions, keep them coming because I will try them all! :)

13. Boogie

That's great.

Training and games which get them using their minds tire them out even more.

Here is a link to some excellent ideas - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/teaching-your-labrador-tricks-should-you-or-shouldnt-you/

14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Just to say neutering will not necessarily calm him down. Coco is neutered (at around 13 months - before we got him) and he was crazy as anything. Training and maturity helps.