Pup going from inside to outside

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mag44, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Mag44

Mag44 Registered Users

I have a pup that is around 12 wks old and has been inside the house since I brought him home. He is still small enough to get between the bars on my wrought iron fence. When he is big enough to not fit through my fence anymore what is the best way to introduce him to the backyard? He has just been in the back yard for bathroom trips so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Our situation was similar, pup could get through the fence. We were ALWAYS outside supervising. Young puppies rarely have enough confidence to stray too far from Mum, meaning you. :) We played, we watched, we walked, all off leash and that really helps building recall. I mean off leash right away to teach recall. So my answer would be, go out with him and supervise as soon as you get him home. Actually, we walked off our property, in safe areas, off leash as well. We are rural and had a choice of places to do this, it is harder if you are urban.

Naya likes this.
  3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would let him out in the back yard, but wouldn't leave him out there alone. When my girl is in the garden I go with her and especially when she was a pup. They do stay close at this age and it's the best time to teach them what you want them to do/not do. For example, if he goes near the fence you could instigate a game of some kind that takes his attention to you. We play a lot in the garden and it helps us bond as well as tiring them out.